AWSM’s chapter at MSU just won National Chapter of the Year

Who run the world of sports media?

AWSM’s chapter at Michigan State just won Chapter of the Year. This prestigious honor, shows how hard all of those young women work in light of the future of women in sports, their individual futures, and the future of their chapter at MSU.

AWSM is a national organization standing for The Association of Women in Sports Media. It’s a group of professionals and student members who correspond with one another to network, support and continue the growth of women in sports media.

Working College GameDay

AWSM@MSU holds meetings every other Monday where the young women have the opportunity to make friendships, connections, and Skype a professional. The privilege to listen to all of these successful women talk about their career paths is truly priceless.

The women who took time out of their day to talk were ESPN’s Shelley Smith, Director of Media Communications for the LGPA, Kelly Thesier Schultz, Brian Fishman Internship winner, Alyssa Girardi, and College GameDay’s Lauren Hamlett.

Alexandrea Thrubis of the Detroit Tigers Foundation also made a special guest appearance.

AWSM members working press row at a MSU basketball game

Not only did members have the opportunity to converse with professionals in the industry, AWSM@MSU held a resume workshop, participated in the Spartan Sports Journalism Classic, made cards during the holidays for the children at Sparrow Hospital, and some members volunteered with College GameDay (for football and basketball).

Skyping in with Shelley Smith

The chapter is led by President Hanna Sprague, and officers Kellie Van Maele and Jazzy Teen. Hanna, Kellie, and Jazzy all work in the MSU Athletic Communications offices, and Jazzy also works with football operations at Michigan State.

Kellie will be interning with the Detroit Tigers Foundation this summer. Hanna was a winner of one of the AWSM internships and will be working with PRO Sports Communications in Los Angeles this summer.

The chapter is very lucky to have such hard working, knowledgeable and encouraging officers.

AWSM members making cards for the children at Sparrow Hospital

Along with the officers, faculty advisors Joanne Gerstner, Lori Anne Dickinson and professional mentor, Karen Wall created networking opportunities for the members throughout the year.

Because of this award, AWSM@MSU will be recognized at the AWSM National Convention located in Miami this summer. This honor exemplifies the hard work all of them have put in. The members pride themselves on empowering one another, and they’ve clearly done just that.

Michigan State