Spartans have high hopes for March Madness

This tournament is basically Christmas

As a student at Michigan State University, being excited for March Madness is an understatement – it’s like Christmas. We get to watch our favorite (and really good) Spartan team compete for a national championship! It almost seems like a gift to be the #2 seed in the Midwest region when comparing it to other regions. While there might have been some murmurs about being a second seed for a team that just came off winning the Big Ten Conference, in the long run, it may benefit the Spartans.

The official NCAA 2016 March Madness bracket

As for us fans, the next three weeks will be full of just about every emotion in the book. From anxiety and stress to nerves and joy, the tournament will bring out the best and worst in all of us. Being at a school that potentially has the best team in the nation is somewhat surreal. The student body that supports the team here will be in full force from the very first game on Friday and into the possible future rounds.

Paige Colman, Sparty and I after a win at the Breslin

According to ESPN, 18 out of the 31 expert analysts that predicted the outcome for the tournament have Michigan State winning it all. In typical MSU fashion, the Spartans do well under pressure. With this being said, there is a lot of support and faith behind this team beyond the support of the university and it’s students.

Watching this team throughout the season has really been something special. The Izzone has made sure to bring the loudest and best fans in the nation. Experiencing the section in full force is one of the best things about being at a game. You are surrounded by many Spartans that share the same commonalities of loving the team and the game that you do.

Having players like Denzel Valentine, Matt Costello and Bryn Forbes not only lead the team on the court in various ways, but bring national attention to the program has impacted the energy levels. It is just really exciting to watch them because you never know what to expect. Always guessing how many three pointers Forbes will make, rebounds Costello will get or points Valentine will have at home brought a certain level of excitement to the Breslin Center.

The Izzone cheering on the team taken by MSU Athletic Communications

Winning the Big Ten Championship (yes, another championship for MSU this school year) has given the team a boost going into the tournament. It has solidified their confidence in their abilities on the court. Denzel Valentine has been quoted saying, “If we play to our full competition and everyone comes ready to play, I think that we can win it all.”

There is so much to be excited about in this tournament, pushing nerves aside. I mean, it isn’t called March Madness for just any reason, it is in fact, complete madness. Buckle your seatbelt Spartans, this one is going to go go down in history.

Michigan State