I went on spring break with my mom

I swam with dolphins, drank my heart out AND read a book

IMG_5150While the rest of MSU was partying it up on the beaches of Florida and Mexico, I was in the Bahamas with my mom. And let me tell you, SPRAAAANG BREAKKKK is a lot more relaxing when its just spring break.

Activities

Drinking (not to get drunk): Rather than beer bonging or trying to finish a fifth in record time, I was able to sit down at a bar like a real adult and consume an alcoholic beverage or two or six, after all it is spring break, but it occurred in a classy and calm manner, and I felt very ~adult~. So all in all, trading in the shot glasses for a glass of chardonnay was a grade A decision.

Laying out: While soaking in the obligatory vacation rays, I actually read two books over the course of the week. A relaxing and welcome alternative to the typical striving to look 100 at all times to impress the swarms of boys, being too drunk to remember to put on sunscreen, and the mobs of people partying around you preventing the space to properly tan. The snazzy resort lounge chairs were a nice bonus as well.

Pictures on the beach: Not all that disappointingly, I missed out on the wild group beach pictures. Instead of gathering in a big group and posing perfectly to highlight the drink in your hand, I got personal photo-shoots, courtesy of my mom.

Swimming with dolphins: How many college spring breakers get the opportunity to do that? The focus tends to rest too heavily on getting drunk and the lovely marine animals are completely ignored.

The Boys

Italians: There was an abundant amount of foreign senior citizens that still think it is okay to rep speedos on a public beach. While this was certainly not as fun to look at as the boys on a regular spring break, it did give us something to laugh about.

Young men (like real young): While few and far between, there were a selection of boys under the age of 12 staying at our resort. Somehow those punks were lucky enough to tag along with their parents and have a once in a life time experience that they likely won’t remember by the time they’re old enough to appreciate it.

Bartenders:  The resort bartenders were all very engaging and flirty. Whether it was sincere, or simply to get better tips, the world may never know, but either way, it made the experience that much more fun.

The Parties

Okay this category was definitely the most lacking.  There were no wild beach parties or djs or dancing, but that was okay. There was a comedy show, a Caribbean festival, and plenty of steel drum music. The huge beach parties may have been fun with a group of friends, but was not something I missed being with my mom; the resort provided activities were plenty sufficient and lots of fun.

Overall

I wouldn’t have traded the trip for any other spring break.

Michigan State