Music or booze – what makes a party?

Sparty like a rockstar

Everybody parties. I don’t care who you are, but it’s inevitable – at one point, you will find yourself packed into an Uber surrounded by your closest friends as you’re being driven across campus by some Vietnam vet named Dave. You’re not entirely sure where you’re going, you check your phone and note the time. The night is young and you’re ANTR350 exam you just tanked is the last thing on your mind. 20 minutes later, you find yourself at a small white house. You don’t know who lives there, but the sound of the base fuels your curiosity. You begin to open the door and the aroma of jungle juice fills your nostrils and the damp, stagnant air from the other 60 bodies is so inviting. Flip cup is coming to an end on the shitty countertop they must’ve purchased from IKEA, a game of beer pong has taken over the entire kitchen, the series of red, blue and green LEDs light up the face of your fellow Spartans. You make your way across the crowded living room to only realize the faint sound of “Get Low” over the commotion – the song warms your heart as you are reunited with old friends from freshman year.

No doubt the party atmosphere here at MSU reigns triumphant over any other B1G University, but what’s the one thing that brings people closer together than alcoholic beverages? Music. Yeah you might think the alcohol helps, but once you start stumbling over your words and you find yourself lost in thought, it’s the music that gets you back in the groove. Here at Michigan State, I turned to the student body to hear their own thoughts on the music they might encounter at parties here on campus. So how much does music make or break a party?

Juilan Ellis, Junior

“I think it depends on the party. Like a frat party, people apparently want ‘twerking’ music or like raging music, but like at an apartment party, I feel like music everyone knows is typically the favorite. Don’t really have a music preference… Three favorite songs of mine would have to be Walk by Foo Fighters, Sarah Smiles by Panic at the Disco and It’s Strange by Louis the Child. I don’t think music defines the party only because 95% of the time I am focusing on everything else going on at a party.”

Elizabeth Sanderson, Sophomore

“Best music to have at a party is probably stuff I can sing along to and dance to; once a song comes on that everyone knows they will typically start singing along and it only becomes more fun! My own music preference is generally mid 2000 music – I kinda think along the lines of The Fray and 96.3 as a kid haha. In general, I listen to a pretty big variety of music, but right now I’m really liking Adventure of a Lifetime by Coldplay and Wolves by DREAMERS. Music definitely defines the party! If music was playing that was slow or a ballad, it would just feel super awkward… I think you at least need something with a beat.”

Sydney Shea, Sophomore

“I think that the best music to play at a party is a mix of Pop, EDM and Hip-Hop. The three genres are easy to combine which increases the likelihood that someone will like or just recognize a song. Those types of songs are also usually way better to dance to. Music totally defines a party. It sets the atmosphere. People are going to act around the music. If more chill music is playing, then the party could be more low key and social. While if hip-hop is playing, then people are more likely to dance and move around. Generally, I listen to alternative and pop music. My favorite songs always switch around, but right now I am jamming to a bunch of new songs by Selena Gomez, David Guetta and Jess Gynne.”

Joey Preston, Freshmen

“I like EDM music at parties because it explains itself, it’s meant for dancing – it’s so easy to lose yourself to the music. My top songs are probably Magnets A-Trak Remix, Idle Hands EXGF, and probably You and I Flume’s Remix. I feel like music is very important to the party atmosphere. If I don’t like it, I won’t be able to dance and the whole place just feels awkward.”

Julia Huntington, Freshmen

“I like songs playing that I actually know the words to so that cuts out a lot of music for a party. I really like show tunes but I usually have to settle for pop which is good too. I don’t really have favorites because I get bored of songs really quickly. I feel like if I walked into a party with screamo I’d walk right out so in that sense I think music defines the party but I’ll listen to pretty much whatever. But if I want to actually dance or enjoy the music it’s gotta be something I know.”

Amanda Washnock, Sophomore

“My music preference would have to be Give a Hater a Hug by Watsky & Wax, Janglin by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes and Imagine by John Lennon. But the best music to party to is Funk, duh. Why though? Because Earth, Wind & Fire, Stevie Wonder, and Rick James slay the game! No questions asked. I feel like this answer will be the same for most people, but if the music isn’t something I can feel, the party will probably suck… I absolutely love the people at the parties I go to but it’s the music that gives it all of its energy.”

Amber Crumm, Freshmen

“I think any pop or rap remix that most people know the words to are typically pretty popular at parties. If you know the music, you are more likely to dance and just enjoy yourself. I prefer listening to 80’s rock or pop punk, like Bowling for Soup or Patent Pending, on my own. I think music could define the party because the louder the music, and the added effects of lights, would ultimately be more “hype” than any other music you might hear being played across the hall from me.”

Josh Cassady, Freshmen

“Personally, I believe in my lifetime experience that the best music to having playing at a party is show tunes, but that has never happened at a party for me and I am sad about that… Why? Because it is the best and I know all the words. Again, my own music preference is show tunes. My three favorite songs are Candy Store from Heathers the Musical, Out Tonight from Rent, and Without Love from Hairspray. If you were wondering I played Brad In Hairspray, just a small fun fact for the day. Music defines the party, if they are playing show tunes I will stay no doubt.”

Dominic Thorley, Sophomore

“Best music to party to? Trap Queen on repeat. Maybe mix in some Rae Sremmurd – we’re trying to get lit like bic, so why wouldn’t you play that? My own music preference is classic rock and heavy metal; my three favorite songs right now are NIB by Black Sabbath, 2112 by Rush, and Fucking Hostile by Pantera. Music defines the party no questions asked. If the music is hype and up beat, everybody is going to be having a good time – singing and dancing along to the song. Honestly, if the music sucks… The party will suck.”

Damon Plasencia, Sophomore

“I think EDM is the greatest choice of music to play at parties. I enjoy parties being hype and I just think that other genres of music aren’t upbeat enough. I prefer EDM over anything else, my favorite songs are To U by Jack U, High You Are by What so Not, and Get Down by Tiesto. Music does define a party! If the audience is not into the music, then the party is already over. You can’t have a party without music!”

Cameron Allie, Junior

“Generally EDM music is the best thing to play at a party. It’s something that people can feel and dance to, usually remixes of popular music that people know the words to. My own music preference has to be rock, my favorite songs are Shameful Metaphors, Walks, and Demons. Music definitely defines a party. The life of the party directly relates to the music playing; if there is no music, people just stand and make small talk.”

Lauren McBroom, Sophomore

“I think the best music to have at a party is anything fun and upbeat. Depending on the type of party people may not pay attention as much to the music but it definitely makes the atmosphere a lot more fun. I personally love country music and I listen to it all the time. Actually the only time I don’t have country playing is when I’m working out at the gym. Some of my favorite songs are Anything Goes by Florida Georgia Line and Heartbeat by Chris Young! I think music can define a party. If there is slow, boring music playing, the I feel like the party wouldn’t be as exciting.”

Music knows more about the kind of mood I’m in than I do – it’s the universal language of mankind. But you don’t really truly know someone until you get ridiculously drunk with them. It was Elton John that said, “Music has healing power. It has the ability to take people out of themselves for a few hours.” Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent – music helps one escape from the reality we live in. Being able to unwind and relax is a gift, a privilege that every college student values. Whether you find yourself in an apartment powering through your sixth beer or taking celebratory shots with some of your closest friends, take a moment to stop and realize that under all the chaos, music is there to break the silence. And remember Spartans, Please Drink Responsibly and as always #SpartyOn

Michigan State