Why Denzel Valentine deserves the Naismith Trophy

Just add it on to his list of accomplishments

The 6’5” Lansing, Michigan native is up for Player of the Year. There’s no question about that nomination. Before he is called Player of the Year, he can also be called Mr. Versatility. There’s no question about that title, either. Averaging 19.6 points, 7.5 rebounds, and 7.5 assists per game — versatile is almost an understatement.

Those are just a few reasons why Denzel Valentine should win the Naismith Trophy. His career high of 32 points is another reason. He tied his career high of 13 assists when playing Indiana and Ohio State this season. His 14 rebounds helped tremendously in the huge College GameDay win against Maryland this season (another career high). Not to mention his seven double-doubles this year (14 total.) Plus, he recorded two triple-doubles. One was a game changer against then ranked No. 4 Kansas in the Champions Classic in Chicago. One more triple-double and Valentine will tie current Golden State Warrior, Draymond Green’s record here at MSU.

He also just won National Player of the Year via USA Today Sports, USBWA District V Player of the Year and Big Ten Player of the Year. Along with that, Denzel was honored with earning USA Today Sports First Team All-America, as well.

Adding on to more accomplishments, one that may be overlooked is the minutes per game he plays. Valentine averages 32.7 minutes per game. Not only does that show how much he excels on the court physically, it shows how mentally tough he is. Of course, Tom Izzo and Denzel’s teammates want him on the court for his talent and craft, but his leadership skills are more than exceptional. When times get tough out there on the court, he’s out there pumping his teammates up and trying to get the ball rolling. He plays with enthusiasm and triumph, and watching the way he executes things on the court emphasizes that.

Not only is he a great teammate, leader and player, he supports his school constantly. Being a Spartan is something special, and Denzel recognizes that. He supports all the athletics and reps green and white in a positive way. Whether he’s giving a special shout out to the football team on Instagram, or attending a women’s basketball game, Valentine is proud to be here and proud to call himself a Spartan.

Michigan State