Everything I’ve noticed about MSU coming from out of state

Squirrels. MSU students are obsessed with the campus squirrels

I’m just a girl from small town Californian trying to make it in the world. And coming to MSU from California to do just that has definitely been…different. Different everything: culture, food, fashion, slang, you name it. And man has it been fun!

1. People actually say Cali
  2. There’s terrible Mexican food and Chinese food, but the BEST Mediterranean I’ve ever had
  3. Sorels. Everyone wears Sorels in the winter. They’re on my shopping list.
  4. No matter what the weather, SPARTANS WILL get to class
  5. Also, if you don’t write in the snow when you have the chance, you gotta go.
  6. Without a doubt, the police get called on the daily to the dorms with the science majors
  7. One day it’ll be -1 and the next it’ll be 56 degrees. Don’t trust the weatherman
  8. There are no hills, everything is flat
  9. If you meet someone from the UP, they’re basically a different species
  10. Is it game day? You better be wearing that Green and White!
  11. The MSU vs UM rivalry is real and you better not wear blue and yellow on campus
  12. People will draw you in with free t-shirts
  13. The dorms have 2 settings: the sun and the arctic
  14. People don’t know about the word “rad” and get way confused when I say it
  15. Bubble Island bubble tea is SO IMPORTANT
  16. People don’t get why you came to MSU from California and constantly ask you
  17. CATA bus drivers do not care and will leave the bus stop without you
  18. Sometimes, you gotta take the L
  19. People ice skate on the frozen river to get to class faster
  20. Professors will yell GO GREEN in the middle of lecture, and you will say GO WHITE
  21. There is so much school spirit everywhere all the time!
  22. You will meet so many friends here you’ll lose track, but good luck finding “the one”
  23. Even if it’s -10 outside, people will still go out in a t-shirt because they’re from Michigan
  24. Grand River has some good browsing stores but if you wanna shop you gotta trek to the mall
  25. Sometimes the caf food is the bomb and other times you gotta just order takeout
  26. On that note, they’re all cafs, not cafes or cafeterias
  27. You gotta ice skate at least once, even if you’re the worst
  28. “It’s lit”
  29. Squirrels. MSU students are obsessed with the campus squirrels.
  30. Even though there’s 50,000 of us, you never feel like just a number, we are all Spartans and SPARTANS WILL. GO GREEN!

Contributor: Sabrina Bronni

Michigan State