A day in the life of an Australian at MSU

The truth about kangaroos, deadly insects and of course, Fosters Beer

DISCLAIMER: this harsh reality may cause disappointment

I may be an Aussie but no, there is not a kangaroo bouncing around in my backyard nor do I, or have I ever, drank Fosters Beer. After five glorious months of calling East Lansing home (Go Green!), I came to soon realize how many people actually believed these entertaining misconceptions about Australia. And don’t worry if you’re taken aback, you’re certainly not the first.

The pet kangaroo

I’m sure most other Australian exchange students can agree that one of the first, and most asked, questions you’ll receive from Americans is something about kangaroos. There’s no denying that they’re pretty cool creatures, but it seemed that many were convinced these hip-hopping animals had certain human-like magic abilities.

It was a little too easy to convince people that I rode my pet kangaroo to university (in the designated kangaroo lane that all roads are equipped with, of course). First of all, kangaroos are generally wild animals and are not considered pets. And secondly, if on the odd occasion I were to try and hop on the back of a kangaroo, it would most likely retaliate with a surprisingly common punch in the face.

Here’s a photo of my awkward 10-year-old self trying so very hard not to look concerned whilst feeding a kangaroo in a petting zoo. Two minutes later I was punched in the face.

Outback Steak House

Me: “Have you ever been to Australia?”

A local: “No, but I’ve been to the Outback Steakhouse!”

It seemed that the closest thing to going to Australia was venturing down to the nearest Outback Steakhouse for a sub par meal that claims to be authentic Aussie tucker.

While I may admit the Australian accent on the Outback Steakhouse TV advertisements even gives Steve Irwin a run for his money, unfortunately you’re going to have to come to Australia to get a real shrimp on the barbie (fun fact: shrimp are actually called prawns in Australia).

Fosters Beer 

It claims to be “Australian for Beer,” but do I miss it, you ask? No. In fact, prior to living in East Lansing, I had never even heard of Fosters Beer. But thanks to numerous Uber drivers and some friendly folks at Meijer, I had apparently been enlightened on what I’ve been missing out on. My skeptical yet burning desire to taste ‘Australia’s finest’ beer was soon followed by a trusty Wikipedia search, where I discovered that Fosters Beer was surprisingly (?) created by two Americans.

#wedontdrinkfosters

The deadly insects

During my first week at MSU, a fellow Akers resident approached me with a very concerned look on her face as she asked, “in Australia, do you have to keep your mouth closed when you walk around so, like, bugs don’t fly in there?”

Sure, Australia may be home to an interesting range of animals and insects that you would prefer to not find hiding in your closet. But, fending off bugs and all sorts of creepy critters as we walk down the street is sadly, not a daily deed.

This hypothesis was tested by sticking our head out the window of a moving vehicle and opening our mouth. Much to our disappointment, we didn’t catch any foreign matter, excluding the mere few strands of hair that were nearly choked on.

Australia really is the Land Down Under

My beloved roommate was contemplating studying abroad in Australia so she could visit me. In an attempt to convince her to make the trek Down Under, I was telling her about all the beaches and natural wonders we could visit on the weekends. In her upmost excitement, she then proceeded to casually ask, “so do you think we could, ah, go to the Greek Islands on the weekend?” As if Greece was simply a two-hour flight across the Pacific Ocean.

As much as I love to call Australia home, we are well and truly the Land Down Under. Thinking of going to visit friends back in Michigan? That’s a pleasant 22-hour journey. How about doing a European summer? Try a good day’s worth of travel.

But hey, who’s really complaining when you get a view like this?

Among all the outrageous questions I was asked as a foreigner, studying abroad was the best experience of my life. Michigan State sure knows how to do college and I hope to some day show some fellow Spartans how it’s really done in the Land Down Under.

Michigan State