Joining a sorority was the best decision I made at MSU

A home away from home

Long before I came to Michigan State, I had always wanted to be a part of the glamorous and philanthropic Greek life and was determined to make it happen. Little did I know, recruitment would be unlike anything I have ever experienced before.

Apparently moving to East Lansing and in a huge university wasn’t enough for me, so I decided to go through with fall 2015 recruitment.

On the first day, 1,200 excited strangers walked M.A.C., N. Harrison and East Grand River to rush 14 sororitygetting
a feel for the girls.

By the end of the day, our feet were sore, our throats hoarse, our stomachs cramping and our heads aching, but we had all become great friends. Each hour of recruitment meant we were one step closer to becoming a part of a sorority.

Finally, on Preference Day, I had made my decision to sign a bid card for Pi Beta Phi because of the energetic and carefree vibes I got from the girls throughout the week. On Bid Day, I ran into the arms of my future sisters and we all went to the house for a big welcoming party!

In Pi Phi, I have created memories that I will never forget, such as getting a “big” a.k.a. big sister, participating in philanthropy events and getting initiated. I am so thankful that I am able to meet all these amazing girls who give me such valuable advice and experience Greek life with my best friends. If I could give advice to anyone going through the recruitment process, it would be that you always end up in the sorority that you are supposed to. I would also advise anyone who is unsure about Greek life to go for it because it will change your life and has made my experience at Michigan State that much more amazing. Being a part of Greek life will not only benefit you throughout your college years, but also for the rest of your life. I’ve always wanted older sisters and now I have them!

As I have ventured away from my home in Buffalo, New York, to attend Michigan State University, I have found a new one with my sisters at Pi Beta Phi.

Although the fall recruitment process was tiring, scary and emotional, I would not trade my experience or the outcome of it for the world.

Michigan State