Spartan Sports Journalism Classic

Network, network, network

Every year, Michigan State students gather in the Communication Arts & Science building to participate in the Spartan Sports Journalism Classic. Although open to any students at MSU, I was able to get involved in this incredible event through my Women in Sports Media (AWSM) club.

Around 50 successful Michigan State alumni who work for ESPN, CBS Sports, Fox Sports Detroit and more come to network and give advice to aspiring sports journalist and broadcasting students.

My favorite part about the Sports Journ Classic was speed networking, where each student was paired up with six professionals to talk to for five minutes each. I was paired up with professionals such as Andrea Nelson from Fox Sports Detroit and Terry Braverman, the former Michigan State basketball and football announcer. Here, I was able to introduce myself, make connections in the sports world and ask any questions that were on my mind. Later, there was also an hour of open networking where I was able to talk to Shireen Saski from CBS Sports and Katie Strang from ESPN (ahh!).

Just when I thought it could not get any better, I then attended a panel hosted by former NBA and Michigan State player, Steve Smith, where he talked about social media in relation to sports.

Besides being a huge opportunity for Michigan State journalism students, it was a very inspiring experience to be able to ask questions and get advice from such successful people in sports media. They were all willing to help and open to giving out internship information, email addresses and unforgettable tips.

The Spartan Sports Journalism Classic is just one of the many examples of how Spartans are always trying to help their fellow Spartans.

Michigan State