What’s it like to be LGBT at Michigan State?

‘We say that the campus is founded on diversity… but we can only say that because this school isn’t inclusive and the administration knows that’

What is straight? A line can be straight, or a street. But the human heart? Oh no, it’s curved like a road through mountains. We become not a melting pot but a beautiful mosaic – different people, different beliefs, different yearnings, different hopes, and different dreams. To quote the Queen Bee herself, “If you like it you should be able to put a ring on it.”

Coming to Michigan State you never have to be afraid, every individual is a Spartan and together we are united. Today’s society has gained this new understanding of acceptance: that it is seeing with your heart, not with your eyes. It was Will Smith that said, “If anybody can find someone to love them and to help them through this difficult thing that we call life, I support that in any shape and form.” Each and every individual is different and that’s what makes the world and our campus so unique.

Today, a man and a woman isn’t necessarily the norm; love is a human experience, not some sort of political statement. Michigan State helps to reach out to to all LGBT members and their respective needs.The LGBT Resource Center, found within the Student Services building here on campus, is “dedicated to leading and collaborating on university-wide initiatives that prepare students to thrive in our diverse world, and enhancing the campus climate and support services for students marginalized by their sexuality or gender.” Organizations like  A-Spectrum, Alliance of Queer and Ally Students, RING, Spectrum, are offered here on campus – and the list only goes on.

I went around campus contacting different individuals and groups to hear their own thoughts regarding the LGBT resources offered on campus. Here is what they had to say.

Carter Griffin, Neuroscience, Junior

“Simply by having the student-ran organizations, we can see that Michigan State can cater to anyone’s needs. I just think it’s really nice that RHA doesn’t generally just categorize the black caucuses or LGBT caucuses for allocations and funds, so that they specifically give money to them. I know the LGBT Student Resource Center in the Student Services Building is a great place to go to if you ever just need to wind down or get help with whatever kind of queer group you’re involved in. Honestly, you could just go and chill if you wanted. I’m the president of Spectrum here at MSU which is the queer and ally caucus for east neighborhood and we host meetings and get togethers aimed at the east neighborhood residence. We are all about spreading knowledge and awareness of the LGBT community to the rest of east. I think at a general standpoint [student and faculty members] definitely are accepting to different sexual orientations.

“I know personally, all of the professors and faculty I have worked with are inclusive and accepting. I would definitely encourage joining an organization just because there are plenty of groups on campus that give you that space of support and there are multiple different LGBT groups on campus not just the caucuses. I think there’s definitely plenty of opportunities to seek out support if you need it.”

Hannah H., Studio Art, Sophomore

“I feel like MSU has one of the most robust, dedicated inclusivity programs I’ve seen. I don’t know how well this reflects on the demographics here, like the actual campus population, but I do admit especially with the LGBTQ+ programs here they are huge. There are so many of them and it’s insane how much money and work goes into them. I see this and I really appreciate it. But again, I don’t know if that really resonates with the campus population.

“I am part of a caucus and there are so many caucuses in each neighborhood that it becomes so convenient- if that’s something you’re interested in. There’s also non residential programs offered here as well, so I feel like it’s super easy to get involved. I think that is extremely variable whether or not the students here are accepting, I mean it’s you, me, and like fifty thousand of our closest friends on this campus. I feel like the faculty is usually a bit more solid than the student body, because it’s university it’s fairly left leaning so I feel like that’s relatively decent.”

Thomas R., Polyscience, Sophomore

“I think MSU really tries to be as inclusive as it can be. But unfortunately, there are still some very lacking problems here at Michigan State. For instance, gender flex housing still has some problems that need to be resolved; but, I feel like the university is trying to make a genuine attempt to resolve any issues- it’s just taking time. 

“Being at MSU, is one of those places that I feel completely safe with who I am. MSU is where I came to grips with being gender fluid before I ever even considered it, I never really felt comfortable expressing that until I got here. It’s a very open and very inclusive environment, I feel completely and totally safe coming out to anyone on campus and I can literally just walk down the hall and sache whenever I feel like so it’s really great. There are different LGBT groups here on campus that deal with everything from gay, lesbian, transgender focus and also African American queer focus.”

Ricky Price, Kinesiology & Rehabilitation Counseling, Masters Student

“I do feel like Michigan State University is rather inclusive. I know that there are places and clubs I could reach out too if I had the interest to do so. There are groups like LIGHT (Living In Great Harmony Together) founded in the Brody Neighborhood, PRISM (People Respecting the Individuality of Students at MSU) in South and PRIDE (People Respecting Individuality, Diversity, and Equality) in West Circle. There’s even a fraternity: Delta Lambda Phi for gay and bisexual guys.

“Everyone I have interacted with on campus is accepting of my own sexual orientation. But I personally am not a part of any organizations here at MSU and regardless of my schedule, I wouldn’t consider joining any organizations.”

Devin Rittenhouse, Political Science, Senior

“I do believe MSU is an inclusive school where people seem to be very accepting… I haven’t really seen or heard anything that would make me believe they are not. I am not a member of any organizations here, but I do know they are there if I ever need to reach out to someone. But instead, I use much of my time joining clubs that promote my future career more than others.”

Matt Palievich, Astrophysics, Sophomore

“I do feel like inclusiveness is really hard to describe, we say that the campus is founded on diversity and inclusion; but, we can only say that because this school isn’t inclusive and the administration knows that. It’s just something to work towards.

“They are trying their absolute hardest, like now there’s a gender neutral bathroom in the basement of Holmes but there is always gonna be more things they can do. There’s definitely A LOT of resources available for us, there’s an LGBT Resource Center, not that I have been there because I’m too busy, but there is also a lot of clubs. I am an eBoard member at Spectrum which is the east neighborhood caucus for queer and allied students, that is the very official term…

“I feel like faculty especially is accepting, at least at Lyman Briggs. I haven’t gotten any shit for my sexuality, I have an LGBT sticker on my door and nobody has lost their mind about that. The groups are absolutely great and I love them to death. I actually met a lot of LGBT friends through these groups – considering I didn’t realize [how to define my sexuality] until a year ago. I went from being completely straight to who I am today which is totally different and it’s kinda like a 180 and it’s hard because I’m not out to my family, but here I’m out completely because I feel safe and it’s just so easy.”

Brad Braderson, Mechanical Engineer, Freshman

“Yeah, I don’t know what to say. MSU seems pretty inclusive, I haven’t been beaten up or anything just because I’m gay. But it is pretty inclusive, I feel like I fit in no matter my sexual orientation, it’s pretty neat and also lit, pretty lit. I feel like if I went around telling people I’m a homosexual they would be accepting of it.

“I am not a member of any organizations offered here at MSU, I would consider joining an organization, but it would all depend on whether or not it fit into my schedule and if there were cute boys or ugly boys there. But I feel that I am very confident in regards to my own sexual orientation and never felt the need to go to any meetings or join some organization – so I don’t really see a purpose to go or anything like that. But I do understand they are there and it’s nice to know if I do have this urge to talk I am able to reach out to people.”

Matilda/Matt Phillips, Molecular Genetics & Genomics, Sophomore

“So the two things I identify by are pansexual and gender fluid. Both are very under publicized, pansexuality is kinda similar to bisexuality in which it’s an attraction to more than one gender. Basically, I don’t view your gender; it’s more of a thing that if I’m attracted to you then I’m attracted to you and that’s all that matters.

“The other one is gender fluid, gender is kind of a soft topic for some people but as a gender fluid individual, I have days I feel female and I go by Matilda and on other days I go by Matt or Mad and my pronouns change. So on Matilda days, I’m she/her/hers and on Matt or Mad days I am they/them/theirs like today I am they/them/theirs. Gender fluid is kinda complicated because not only do I have a different name and different pronouns for different days, but I can never tell until that moment what kind of gender I am going to be that day or who I am feeling like.

“The other thing that is difficult for me, is that my parents don’t believe in either one of my identities, at all. Since I was about nine, I was told that being bisexual was greedy and a lie. Along with that, my parents have made a lot of gender jokes at home not knowing because I’m not out, which makes it a lot harder to come out as somebody that is queer. But, eh, shit happens. I’m involved in PRISIM which is the south neighborhood caucus. I really enjoy this organization because a lot of my friends live in south so I go there a lot just to see them. Another group I am part of is New2U, last semester it was just a lot of workshops; but it’s a program for first year transfer students or newly queer people to go and learn about things like rights.”

Patricia Clare, Secondary Education, Freshman

“In terms of inclusiveness, I definitely think there wasn’t a big difference between my high school and college. I understand that there were a select few that weren’t too fond about the idea with homosexuality, but those people exist all over the world. My high school had different clubs that accommodated for the different needs of any student regardless of their cultural backgrounds or sexual orientations.

“I feel comfortable with being me as I walk around campus, I never feel judged just because my beliefs are different than my peers. There’s an overwhelming amount of opportunities for someone if they wish to join a club or reach out to people that share similar interests and view of life. I honestly feel like MSU is a very safe environment, it’s a campus where no one is labeled for being different.”  

Connor Stevenson, PreMed Molecular Genetics & Genomics, Sophomore

“A lot of faculty and professors are very open about the fact that they are accepting of any other sexualities, they make it very clear that they are allies. Personally, I feel like the students are very accepting, I have a few non heterosexual friends and when I’m with them I’ve never experienced anyone giving us any sort of problems. I’ve never heard any stories from my friends about being harassed or being felt unwelcomed here at MSU. A lot of the professors here in Holmes make it clear that they are allies and available to talk to anyone in regards to any LGBT issues they might face.”  

Zach Ireland, Neuroscience, Sophomore

“I have not encountered any problems regarding sexual orientation. I do not believe it is the most inclusive university in terms of a majority of students’ attitudes toward certain international students. I also think the university struggles to make certain policies that are protective toward trans people who may struggle with rooming or restrooms. I also think that the resources that are available are not always readily accessible; for example, flexible housing is not advertised to students, and many freshmen who are not aware of it may not be able to utilize it. I believe there are several opportunities for my group to reach out to other groups in terms of collaborations, and we often do.

“Here at MSU I am the President of the organization RING, which stands for Respecting Individuals on Neutral Grounds, is the LGBT+ caucus for north neighborhood plus Shaw, excluding west circle (which has their own caucus). RING’s mission is to provide a welcoming environment for people of all identities, to provide educational and social events involving mostly LGBT+ issues (but also issues surrounding other minorities, such as people of color, etc). We like to have fun events that allow our constituents to get to know each other and not feel so much pressure about identity.”

Accept yourself unconditionally. Never doubt that a small group of committed people can change the world – it’s the only thing that ever has. You don’t need other people to approve of you, accept and love yourself just because. Someday everything will all make perfect sense.

It was Louis C.K. that said, “It doesn’t have ANY effect on your life. What do you care?! People try to talk about it like it’s a social issue. Like when you see someone stand up on a talk show and say ‘How am I supposed to explain to my child that two men are getting married?’ … I dunno, it’s your shitty kid, you fuckin’ tell ‘em. Why is that anyone else’s problem? Two guys are in LOVE but they can’t get married because YOU don’t want to talk to your ugly child for fuckin’ five minutes?”

So for now, laugh at the confusion, smile through the tears, and keep reminding yourself that everything happens for a reason. And remember, Sparty On!

Michigan State