The 10 types of people that you’ll meet in the Izzone

‘At any given time, they may blurt out random basketball facts that are neither relevant nor necessary’

MSU basketball is in full force now and anyone who sits in the Izzone for a basketball game will notice the slew of personalities that make up our student section. Here is a field guide to some of the more common types you may run into.

1. The Section Leader

These dedicated students pour countless hours into making the Izzone a more “fun” environment. In return for all of their efforts, they aren’t allowed to partake in the actually fun activities. They have to fight an uphill battle in attempting to drown out the “WHO CARES. YOU SUCK.” chants that the rest of the Izzone is screeching during introductions and have to keep their lips sealed during the other “mean” chants. Are the guaranteed front row spots really worth it?

2. The Crazy

This is that person that is on the jumbotron constantly. For no particular reason, they are just acting batshit crazy. Jumping, pointing, screaming at the camera, this person does whatever it takes to make it on the big screen, making you question if he’s actually watching the game and when he is going to graduate.

3. The Rule Enforcer

This person is a seasoned Izzone veteran who takes it all a little too seriously. If the fight song isn’t on rhythm, or the swaying during intros isn’t in sync, or god forbid someone pops their bag at the wrong time, the Rule Enforcer will make sure that everyone knows their mistake and that they’re pissed about it.

4. The Sports Maniac

This person loves basketball and will make sure you know it. At any given time, they may blurt out random basketball facts that are neither relevant nor necessary. The only thing they’re good for is that every now and then their erratic comments will answer that question that you’re too embarrassed to actually ask.

5. The One Who Doesn’t Want to be There

This person clearly bought tickets earlier in the year when they were either encouraged by their friend or they just wanted to see what all the fuss was about and now they regret it. They barely participate in chants, are constantly on their phone and attempt to sit down whenever it is socially acceptable. They make it very clear that if they had been able to sell their ticket, they totally wouldn’t be there.

6. The Costumer

The Crazy’s biggest competitor. This person doesn’t commit to acting wild to get on the big screen, instead they just don an obnoxious costume. From bears to squirrels, the Izzone has a wide range of Costumers scattered about the lower bowl.

7. The Trying to Impress

This person is attending the game with a potential significant other who is really into basketball. The Trying to Impress has memorized a few facts about basketball, perhaps even learned who Valentine is, and persists to repeat these same comments throughout the entire game, hoping to show their crush that they’re “reallyyyyy into basketball too!”

8. The Freshman

New to this whole Izzone thing, the Freshman is often confused. They’re the one who is a little off on the fight song or isn’t quite sure when to chant “you, you, youuuu!” They especially do not understand the post-halftime dance and will try to mimic a Rule Enforcer (which will be yet another thing they complain about) and still be a few steps behind.

9. The Boy Crazy

This person likely knows nothing about basketball and is solely there to watch Schilling’s arms. Common catch phrases include: “He’s in my ISS class and sits righttt behind me!”, “Awwww look how cute Matt McQuaid is!!” and “Our boys are killing it tonight!” (likely not even knowing who “our boys” are, if they aren’t one of the more attractive players). These are also the people who are sitting towards the back of the lower bowl and still insist on pushing their way to the front to touch the team after the game.

10. The Die Hard

This is the one who stands outside the Breslin for a minimum of two hours before every game to guarantee their front row spot. They know everything there is to know about basketball and the team and are even friends with the Breslin staff members that work in their section. While they also know all the rules and lots of facts, they keep it to themselves for the most part, unlike their other Izzone counterparts. They sit so close to the team’s bench that seeing the guys up close is just another day at the Bres. Clearly who all of the other Izzone members aspire to be.

Michigan State