The hottest hangouts, according to your TA

Have you ever wondered why you don’t run into your TAs on the weekends?

They’re not all stuck at work. They just have better things to do than dance to Top 40 hits in East Lansing. If you want to step up your going-out game a bit, like the more experienced partiers do: go west, young man (or woman). Go west.

To my students, current, past, and future—

This is your TA. I’m writing to enlighten you on a very important issue. No, it’s not science (good guess, though). It’s Lansing. That’s right, Lansing without the “East.” Lansing proper.

I understand that downtown East Lansing is conveniently located “right there.” I understand that you’ve never ridden the #1 bus for more than 5 blocks at a time. I understand that your friend’s cousin’s girlfriend’s brother lived in Lansing once and got mugged.

I understand, but I don’t care. You’re missing out.

Lansing is actually awesome, but you’d never know it unless you’ve ventured west of the MSU bubble. There’s so much more to life than Burgerama. Don’t even get me started on Rick’s.

For instance, while you all were out and about in EL last weekend, I went to see Starfarm at the Green Door. That’s a band named “Starfarm” and a bar called “the Green Door.” Sorry, I forgot who I was talking to for a second.

Now, I am certain you didn’t know about this because I didn’t see you there. Obviously you would have gone too, if only you had known. Alas, it was just us TAs, plus some other grad students, locals, and friendly neighborhood cougars. You know the cougar types. A little extra hairspray, a little extra lipstick, each wearing their special pair of my-butt-looks-cute-in-these jeans. It’s like being at a Bon Jovi concert.

Oh right, you probably haven’t been to a Bon Jovi concert, either.

Starfarm is an incredibly talented feel-good band that plays music from the 80s. You know, that decade that I and most of your other TAs were born in, that you Google Image Search when you’re getting ready for the 80s-themed night at your favorite off-campus party house. It’s history to you, but we LIVED it.

(Okay, okay, disclaimer, I only lived it for 8 months.)

Once every few weeks, front-woman Whitney graces the Green Door stage with her bleach-blonde dreads, colored sunglasses, and whenever we’re lucky, an epic pink tutu. Her killer vocals (seriously, her Madonna is as good as her Journey) are superbly backed by three, sometimes four, dudes in tracksuits. The whole show is both an homage and a caricature. And it’s a beautiful thing.

Besides, singing along to music written by greats such as Michael Jackson, Blondie, Duran Duran, David Bowie (R.I.P.), and so many others is even more awesome live at a bar than it is in the sticky basement of your friend-of-a-friend’s house.

Scrunchies, side-ponytails, bangle bracelets, and/or awkward workout wear optional, but encouraged.

Welcome to Lansing. The state capital of Michigan. The fifth largest municipality in Michigan. That town that literally borders campus to the west that you’ve never given a chance.

Never, until now. See you at the next Starfarm show.

Logistics:

• Check the Starfarm website to see when and where they’re playing next http://www.starfarmband.com/
  • Take the #1 CATA bus west from campus, past U.S. 127 and into Lansing. The bus route goes right past the Green Door (or if you go further, the Nuthouse, another common Starfarm location).
  • Don’t forget cash for the (<$10) cover at the door. If your highly underpaid TAs can afford it, you can afford it, too.
  • Leave your under-21 friends at the lame 80s-themed house party. They’ll get older soon enough.
Michigan State