New frat on campus makes huge ‘splash’

The brothers of SAM are bringing new meaning to Philanthropy in the greek community

While most frats this time of year are buying booze, meeting girls, and throwing bangers, SAM’s adding one more priority to their “to-do” list. As the fraternity formed the boys knew they wanted to be heavily involved in philanthropy work, and what better way than to give back to a community in need.

Sigma Alpha Mu (SAM) is MSU’s newest frat on MSU’s campus. Joining greek life only two weeks ago, the SAM brothers have no doubt been excited to jump into all the exciting brotherhood experiences.

Got Water? Brothers of SAM on their trip to Flint

Recently, Flint, MI has been in a severe water crisis, leaving many residents without water and many Michiganders wanting to help. Across the country people have reached out to Flint to donate money and water, including names such as Cher, Eminem, Madonna and now the brothers of SAM.

SAM and KKG meets member of the Eastern Michigan Food Bank to present her with their check!

The project started with a Go Fund Me page which SAM shared with the rest of the fraternities and sororities at MSU hoping for donations from their community, and these spartans delivered. Philanthropy chairman and leader of the Water Drive, Jacob Gordon, spoke out about the organization thrilled to announce that “we became a fraternity less than two weeks ago and within that time we have also managed to raise nearly $7000 for those affected in Flint.”

Among the houses to donate, Kappa Kappa Gamma (KKG) contributed most, becoming even more involved. On January 28th, SAM and KKG teamed up and took a trip to Flint to deliver their money, water, and support.

Water girls: Sisters of KKG posing with a worker of Eastern Michigan Food Bank

There they presented a check of $5500 to the Eastern Michigan Food Bank, and personally took cases of water bottles to both YMCA’s of Flint and also to a church who distributes water to undocumented residents that otherwise would not have access to water provided by government and shelters.

“Here to bring you water!!”

“It made a huge impact on our entire frat. Everybody involved and effected was very grateful,” said Gordon, proud of the amazing activity he had put together.

For anyone interested in helping out, the frat is still accepting donations to their Go Fund Me page here. This fresh frat definitely found their way to get campus wide attention.

Congrats SAM, MSU proudly welcomes and supports you.

Michigan State