I went undercover at the Michigan game

Behind enemy lines

The story began when my best friend, Lauren, went to Michigan and I went to Michigan State. During our first college football season, the Michigan vs. Michigan State football game was getting closer and closer. I decided to take the Flyer to Michigan because I knew it was going to be an insane game. Lauren got me a student section ticket, so I would need an “M-card” to prove I was a student and get through the gate.

As the day got colder, I bundled up with Spartan green underneath a gold Michigan sweatshirt. I blended in and looked like a true Michigan fan. As we tailgated, it was an indescribable feeling walking around campus and interacting with other Michigan students who would yell “Go Blue!” at me and expect me to respond accordingly. No matter where I went to school, everyone expected me to hate Michigan State because I was wearing blue and gold.

In the student section, I was surrounded by Lauren, her friends and thousands of other Michigan fans screaming for the Wolverines. Almost no Spartan in sight.

Throughout the entire game, MSU stayed somewhat close to Michigan; however, at the last few minutes I was convinced MSU had lost and was ready to leave.

Then the last play happened. We won 27-23 in the last ten seconds as the Michigan punter kicked it right into the hands of Jalen Watts-Jackson. My jaw dropped, as did everyone else’s, and the Big House fell silent.

Lauren and her friends wanted to leave immediately, so I tried to snap a few quick pictures with my shaking hands, half shaking because it was so cold, half because I was so excited. I got a few pictures and then everyone ran out in extreme anger. I’ve never been more shocked in my life; however, surrounded by angry Michigan fans, I was unable to react.

I’m blessed that I was able to experience that last play and historical game. One day, I can tell my future children all about how we beat Michigan in the last ten seconds of the game. Go green!

Michigan State