The importance of telling someone you care

I’m making the effort to tell people in my life they mean something to me

As the semester is winding down and the weeks are continuing to fly by, I’ve taken some time to step away from everything and really appreciate the people around me. Day after day, we go through life wishing the day was over when we should be embracing every hour, minute and second. It’s so easy to pray for the weekend every Monday, but make sure you’re not wishing your life away. Every day can be as great as the weekend if you want it to be.

If there is anything I’ve learned at college over the past three years, it’s to not take anything for granted, especially each other. I’ve had so many people enter my life in these past three years; people that have watched me fall, grow and become who I am today. Not only have a gained new people in my life, but also I’ve seen plenty of people walk out on me as well. It’s important to cherish the people that matter to you while they’re in your life because before you know it life happens and they will not be around.

Three little words can not only make someone else’s day but you’ll feel better knowing that you’ve reached out to the ones that you love. Even a simple “have a great day,” text goes a long way, I promise you that. Someone that you truly care about should never have to wonder if you’re still there for him or her. In our society now it’s so easy to overlook things and push them aside to handle at a later time. But this is where we are all flawed. We must live in the moment and appreciate the people and things around you.

So many people on this planet are less fortunate than most of us but yet they enjoy the natural beauty and grace in each day. Not going to lie, I’m pretty busy throughout the day, but it takes no effort to show you care. I promise you no matter what, you can find two to five minutes in your day to call your mom and dad, your grandma and grandpa, your boyfriend or girlfriend, or anyone that matters to you. A little effort goes such a long way when it comes to loving one another.

Everything I’ve mentioned seems like common sense right? Tell the people that you love in your life that you love them, simple. But we’re all guilty of not doing this. As simple and straightforward as telling someone you love them is, we don’t do it enough.

And I’ll never really understand why we don’t but I’ve made a promise to myself to start. Whether it’s texting someone “good morning,” catching up with my brothers or calling my mom on my way home from class to see how everything is back home, I’m making the effort to tell people in my life they mean something to me; and you should start to.

University of Maryland