There was pro-Palestine protest today at Israel Fest

Protesters could be seen holding signs that said ‘Nelson Mandela was pro-Palestine’

Students have interrupted Maryland’s Israel Fest, an event meant to celebrate the culture, history, and people of Israel, with a Pro-Palestine protest.

“This is stressful, but we expected and prepared for it,” said a member of Maryland’s Jewish Student Union, the organization hosting Israel Fest.

The event was intended to be a fun way to teach people “about Israel and the diversity present in Israel’s society,” according to the event’s Facebook page.

The protest began in front of McKeldin Library, where protesters could be seen holding signs that said “Nelson Mandela was pro-Palestine.”

They are also holding up signs which read “Zionism kills.”

Protestors were heard chanting “From Baltimore to Tel Aviv, everyone say fuck the police” and “We’ll be back and we’ll be stronger, you can’t ignore us any longer.”

The protestors then moved down onto the Mall where Israel Fest was occurring, and lied on the ground to represent the people that Israeli’s are killing.

Members of Maryland’s Jewish community were visibly upset. One bystander confronted the protestors, telling them they were “so wrong.”

“They don’t even understand what they’re chanting…” said UMD sophomore, Leah Singman, ” ‘from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free’ means there’s no Jewish state and that’s not acceptable.”

Police arrived and made the protestors get up and they slowly left.

University of Maryland national-us