Everyone hates when I wear leggings as pants but I do it anyway

Just let me be comfortable

Leggings. When you hear the word, does your mind pop to pants you wear as part of your daily attire or does it switch to a design made for warmth that you wear under a skirt or dress?

For me, leggings are a staple I wear as pants whenever I have the chance to. For others, this is a fashion don’t and they think I am disgracing the purpose of leggings. Unfortunately for them, however, I do not care if anyone looks down upon my choice. I will wear leggings as pants for the rest of my life and this is why.

Leggings almost always come in the color black

Is there a color that doesn’t go with black? I can’t think of one. Leggings are the perfect addition to any blouse or t-shirt you choose to wear.

Leggings are extremely comfortable

I cannot think of a single person who has complained about wearing leggings. If you feel comfortable in yoga pants, leggings should feel identical to you. The only difference is the lack of flare at the bottom of the legs.

Leggings are the perfect material to add to your ensemble no matter what the weather entails

Leggings are usually made of cotton, but this cotton is light and breathable. Even though they cover your legs, which may be handy in colder temperatures, they are made of a very breathable fabric in case you decide to wear them outside on a very warm day. Don’t worry that these leggings are pants because you will be very far from heat exhaustion if they are a part of your outdoors outerwear.

I’m not the only one

“I think leggings as pants are fine!” said freshman Hanna Stopack.

Freshman Ryan Steinberg agreed by saying, “As a guy, why wouldn’t you like them? But only on women. I wouldn’t ever wear them because they’re tight and I’m not a runner.”

So why do people think this is a faux-pa?

Although it still seems peculiar to me why my friends and stranger will comment on my leggings in disgrace, I suppose I can see a few reasons why some people frown upon them when they are used as pants.

“[They are] not pants and don’t flatter girls,” said junior Nicole Lach. “Unless you’re skinny they just show your fat.”

Leggings were designed to be worn as under garments that can be deemed too short in cold weather. Not only will leggings keep your legs warm, but you will not be showing off too much to the public. Although I can somehow understand this argument, it does not prohibit the use of leggings as pants.

Leggings are also frowned upon when they are worn as pants because they were made to be layered over.

Although this is a perfectly acceptable use for leggings, this does not seclude leggings for only use as an undergarment.

“I don’t think they’re formal enough to be worn in every situation,” said sophomore Andy Schell. “But evidently, they’re comfortable and I think people should wear what they want.”

Even though many people will look down on me for wearing leggings as pants, I refuse to let this bother me. Although it is quite annoying how no one else can see the use of leggings as pants quite like I do, there is nothing anyone can say or do which will truly bother me.

So you can continue to think that leggings are not pants. But for me, your thoughts do not concern me and I will continue to wear them as pants for as long as I want.

University of Maryland national-us