ResLife just changed everyone’s housing assignments and people are pissed

‘I got kicked out of Prince Frederick Hall so I feel a little cheated’

ResLife had to change everyone’s on-campus housing assignments for the 2016-2017 school year after making a mistake in the original assignments, and people are pissed. The switch, which affected groups of two, three, and four people, has put many returning students with worse housing-assignments than they were previously given.

The original housing assignments were sent out on Wednesday, but have now been changed due to a processing error that didn’t factor everyone’s preferences into their final result, Reslife explained in an e-mail sent to those whose assignments were altered.

The email says the issue was “related to an assignments restriction that was inadvertently left in place in the processor function as part of Room Selection 2016. This resulted in some of your preferences not being factored in your final result.”

Reslife said that the new housing assignments “should meet one of your higher listed preferences,” but this doesn’t seem to be the case. In fact, many people who were originally happy with their housing assignments have been switched to much worse locations.

“I got kicked out of Prince Frederick Hall so I feel a little cheated,” said Freshman Remington Sand, who was switched from an optimal South Campus location to a freshman dorm.

“I’m fucking pissed,” said another student, who asked to not be named.

Many angry students have taken to Yik Yak to complain about this unfortunate turn of events.

Many are questioning whether it was fair for them to re-do housing after they already sent out everyone’s assignments. Students who are now unhappy with their housing assignments and wish to live off campus will have to pay a fee to opt-out, although this would have been the case regardless of the mix-up.

Despite the e-mail and apology, people are still asking: how could ResLife make a mistake like this on such a large scale?

University of Maryland