The phases of being a GDI at a frat party

Yes you will wonder why you didn’t rush

When you’re a GDI, short for god damn independent, frat parties may seem a tad strange. You walk in expecting a great time with your friends, but find yourself a little out of the loop.

You hope to see people you know, but as a GDI you don’t know anyone. You try making friends with the people that your friends know, but that just ends up in awkward silences. They don’t get things only GDIs do, and you don’t get what people in Greek life do.

As a GDI this is basically what you’re going to go through at every frat party you go to.

Phase one: Get a drink

You are bombarded and surprised by all of the red cups on the floor that were thrown away by people who have finished their drink. You are unsure what to put in your cup. Are you a risk-taker who pours vodka and soda into your cup or do you play it safe and pour in water, pretending like it is vodka?

As long as no one asks for a sip, you should be fine with that plan.

Phase two: You wonder why you didn’t rush

Yes the rounds are quite tedious and annoying, but you wish you had friends as this party to talk to. Trying to make friends is not only hard when you are at school, but is even harder when you are at a party with no one who you know. You wish you could say you’re in the GDI Greek fraternity or sorority, but you know that every Greek member will know what that acronym stands for.

As you continue to enjoy the frat party, you begin to wonder how it would be different if you were a member of the Greek community. Firstly, you would have friends to say hi to when you walk in. Secondly, you would know what to drink and where to find it. Thirdly, you would not be standing around wondering what to do as you stand all by yourself.

Phase three: You decide you made the right choice not to

Although this party would be more fun if you were in the Greek community, being a GDI is something that you would never change. You are unsure what sorority or fraternity you would join, and if you were sure, you academics would plummet due to pledging. You are happy that you have excelled in your classes that you must take to complete your pre-med track. As you stand at the party feeling more awkward than you hope to feel, you begin to picture graduate school. You are allowed at these parties thank goodness, but you hope you will find more friends who are more your speed when you graduate.

Phase four: Dance the night away

As you finish up your day dream, you begin to think about the future. You become more excited over it and dance even harder. You are glad you are at this frat party even if you are a GDI. Even though you wish you knew more people and could have a better time, this party is a very fun occasion that you will be attending again in the near future.

University of Maryland