UMD student raped by stranger in off-campus housing

She was sleeping when she realized she was being sexually penetrated

A young woman has been raped in University of Maryland off-campus housing, police have reported. 

In a campus wide email sent out earlier today, the police department said the woman was sleeping when she realized she was being sexually penetrated at 5:30am this morning. She called the name of her boyfriend to see who was lying next to her but quickly realized it wasn’t him. When the stranger realized the woman was frightened he ran out of the room. Police have yet to located the suspect.

The male entered the room very easily as the apartment building and the room were both unlocked. He is described as a male wearing a dark hoodie and dark pants but no arrests have been made at this time.

Tiara Lester, a student at University of Maryland who lives in the same neighborhood as the woman told The Tab the area is quiet and no crime has been reported in the past two years of her living there.

“Six children live in the neighborhood, a lot of elderly retired people and college students.”

According to Tiara, the neighborhood is “A variety of single family homes and a lot of curb appeal, has a trolley trail connects our neighborhood streets together, and it’s great for walking pets.”

Individuals with any information on the crime should contact the Prince George’s County Police Department at 301-352-1200. For those who wish to report anonymously, you may call Crime Solvers at 1-866-411TIPS. You can also text “PGPD plus your message” to CRIMES on your phone. You can also visit www.pgpolice.org or email [email protected] with your information.

What sounds like a lovely neighborhood experienced a great tragedy today. We all hope that the woman will fight through the pain that may occur post rape.

University of Maryland