The eye behind the lens: Humans of College Park curator embarks on new project

Catching up with the Terp who has made an art out of our everyday moments

On February 11th, Steven Nguyen ’16, a photographer for Humans of College Park, launched his website to spread his passion for photography and capture moments that “people would like to celebrate for a lifetime”.

The Humans of College Park community page on Facebook has more than 4,200 likes. Each post features an arbitrary College Park resident (in the spirit of Humans of New York) and the project has garnered a large mass of attention online. I met with Steven earlier this week to discover his motivations behind his new project and learn more about the man who has brought us a little bit closer to our fellow Terps.

Steven preparing his camera at the WONDER exhibit hosted by the Renwick Gallery in Washington, D.C.

Why photography? Why did you become the visual artist you are today?

I first took a photography class in high school, but I didn’t really get invested in it until I got my own DSLR camera during my sophomore year of college. One of my roommates at the time was also into photography and we decided to go on an adventure. We ended up at the National Zoo where we took pictures of animals and I was in awe at the results.

Photography grew on me because of the fulfillment I gained from being able to explore multiple perspectives. It’s a never-ending adventure with moments of beauty hidden in every snapshot.

Steven likes capturing what he calls the “beauty of an everyday moment” as evidenced by this shot of a walkway at the National Zoological Park

When did you realize you were “good”? When did other people start seeking out your talents?

I’ve never really thought of myself as being “good” though interest in my work definitely took off when I started posting some of my photos on Instagram. I got a lot of feedback from people from all over and I was humbled by the insights of other photographers. When it comes to getting better, I really just take it a day at a time. I make an exercise out of trying to consciously notice the things we tend to overlook. You’d be surprised at how they are just as interesting as things that are generally better at grabbing our attention.

Steven and company enjoying a Maryland snowstorm

How did you get involved with Humans of College Park? What impact has it had on your work and vice versa?

I was brought on by the founder, Minh Pho, and it became not only a platform for my photos, but also a driver of my self-development. When I first joined I realized how lucky I was to have the opportunity to really leave my mark on some part of humanity – even if it’s just in this area. Working on Humans of CP forced me to engage in conversations with strangers and step outside of my comfort zone. For me, that is the goal of photography.

We generally walk around with these facades, these barriers against interacting with other people, only making a few exceptions for our close friends and family. I personally think that the role of photography in society is to remove this barrier. It allows people to directly share an experience and feel the emotions that accompany it. Beauty isn’t necessarily about how something looks, but primarily about how it makes you feel. It’s about being drawn to something and we are drawn to the things that we understand.

That is why people are so drawn to these stories from complete strangers. We recognize their humanity and we are drawn to it. It isn’t strange, it’s beautiful.

“New Heights”

What does the future hold for you and your work?

I asked myself the same thing over winter break. I really thought a lot about what my personal legacy would be here at Maryland. I’m definitely all about letting loose after three and a half years of stress and I am more than grateful for my involvement in Humans of College Park, but I felt like there is still something more.

I don’t want to be passive and just disappear when the time comes. I truly want to celebrate the life I’ve lived here in College Park. I think the best way to do that is to immortalize the highlights, which could be anything from the craziest night out to the most mundane early morning moments. I also want to provide others with a medium to join in on the celebration. Jumpstarting a business was just a way to give life to that drive of mine and allow me to share it more efficiently with others.

“A Starry Underworld”

Do you think anybody can be a photographer?

We are in an age where people like to share everything around them and that’s only going to increase. In fact, most people don’t even ask me for prints anymore since they store most of their stuff online. People are free to take all the photos they want. Photography though should be about more than just the content itself and primarily about how said content makes you feel.

I strive to produce work that encourages people to look around and recognize moments in their lives that make them feel. If they capture those moments well, then they’re golden. After all, as Eddie Adams put it, “If it makes you laugh, if it makes you cry, if it rips out your heart, that’s a good picture.”

“A Reflection”

To learn more about Steven Nguyen and see a selection of his work visit his website.

Copyright © 2016 Steven Nguyen Photography

University of Maryland