How to survive in College Park

Some words of wisdom from a fellow Terp on how to make the best of your time

Chances are if you’re reading this you’re either a freshman, someone who’s considering going to Maryland, or maybe you just haven’t gotten the hang of College Park yet.

Have no fear. As a self-proclaimed expert of all that is College Park, I’m happy to provide some tips and insight on how to survive (and thrive!) in CP.

Nightlife

If you’re in Greek life you’ve got your socials, your pre-games, and are always in the know about which post games are going on each night.

If you’re not in Greek life, and lets face it if you’re not in Greek life you’re either a first semester freshman or a GDI (obviously). There are plenty of opportunities to still be a part of the nightlife in CP. If you’re a girl, you’ll have no trouble getting into post-games (open parties that frats throw, or parties that were socials but opened up), but you may have difficulty finding out where to go if you don’t know anyone in Greek life. For guys, your best bet is the bar scene. There are three main bars that make up the bar scene which are commonly known as Turf, Bents, and Cornerstone. Turf is usually packed with freshman on Fridays and Saturdays, and is a crowd favorite on Tuesdays (also called Loose Tuesdays/Turf Tuesdays).

Where to live

My room freshman year in Denton Hall

Greek life tends to dominate the off campus living, residing in the Landmark (which is the nicest), sorority and fraternity houses, or Knox.

If you’re living on campus, your best bet as a freshman is to live on north campus in either Denton or Elkton hall. If you’re privileged, or in freshman connection, definitely choose to live off campus in the varsity as a freshman. It’s expensive but definitely worth it.

Pro Tip: DO NOT- I repeat DO NOT loft your bed if you don’t have to. Sure it will give you extra space, but it may just be the biggest pain in the entire world climbing up into your bed and then realizing you forgot something and having to climb back down again.

Exercising

Oh so you actually want to avoid the freshman 15? Well chances are you’ll be consuming more food and alcohol in your four years of college than you will the rest of your life. When you realize that your many diets and attempts to eat healthier fail time and time again, you’ll realize it’s time to finally hit the gym.

Luckily you have many options. Eppley on North Campus is pretty much the best place to go because chances are you won’t see any people you know, and once you get passed the workout of walking up the stairs to the different floors you’ll be working up a sweat. The only reason to ever work out and Ritchie is to show off your letters or your cute new workout clothes because that place is a SCENE. It is legitimately impossible to go there without seeing literally everyone you know. If you have the privilege of living in the varsity or landmark then by all means use the gym you have there!

But lets be real no one wants to work out in Landmark where anyone who walks past outside can see you attempting to do squats.

Best late night food

Finally, something I’m a real expert in. After eating my way through freshman year I can say I have had the opportunity to check out most of the fine cuisine CP has to offer. There’s no question that the ultimate winners of best drunk food are Pizza Kingdom and Insomnia, although Slices is pretty close up there too. Everyone who goes to Maryland has had the mega slice from Pizza Kingdom and the mac and cheese slice from Slices at least once, although I’ve heard they never quite taste as good sober.

Another personal favorite of mine is the 24-hour shop on north campus. I’m not even exaggerating when I say I’m pretty sure I ate the chicken fingers and fries every night after I went out – it was a serious problem.

Me conquering the Pizza Kingdom Mega Slice

If you’re looking for ways to avoid these places and not pack on the pounds like I did, here’s a tip: don’t bring money when you go out at night, if you’re going to the bar bring enough for cover and some drinks for yourself, but definitely don’t bring more than that because you will get sucked into excessive late night dining.
University of Maryland