Learning to love yourself is the best thing you’ll ever do

How can you love someone else if you don’t love yourself?

All anyone ever wants is that one special person that makes them complete. A person who is always there on good days and bad days. A person that can make your heart flutter with just one glance and can give you butterflies through your body. A person that cuddles with you and plays with your hair. A person that loves you.

But how can that special person love you, if you don’t love you?

It’s so easy to lose sight of our own needs and ourselves if we spend everyday trying to impress others. At the end of the day, when you look into the mirror, you should love the person starring back at you. But for most people, it’s not easy. We are our biggest critics whether we like it or not. Our constant need to overanalyze everything is beginning to tear our confidence apart.

I promise you that the amount of likes you get on your Instagram post does not define you as a person. That one blemish you have on your face won’t define you. Your stubborn hair, or your thick waist, or your crooked smile does not define you.

You are special. There are six billion people on this planet, and there is only one of you. Think about that. You’re so special trust me. You don’t have to be perfect, because let’s face it – no one is. No matter what you think or see in the media, not one person is “perfect” (whatever that even means).

Don’t fake a smile if you’re not happy, and don’t pretend to be something you’re not. Be YOU. It all starts and ends with you.

Nothing is more attractive than being the person you truly are. Society may perceive you as cocky instead of confident but I’m here to tell you that confidence is sexy.

So listen, stop overanalyzing and stop worrying. Stop feeling like you aren’t good enough. Take a deep breath and remind yourself just how important you are. Love all your imperfections. We’re only human. We make mistakes. Open your mind, open your heart and take a deep breath.

It starts and ends with you. It’s your own skin, so love it. Love is the most contagious thing in this world. If you love yourself, that person, that special person will come.

So in the words of Justin Bieber, “you should go and love yourself.”

University of Maryland