You shouldn’t have to dress to impress

Wear your sweatpants and coffee stained shirts with pride

You see a variety of fashion choices around the University of Maryland, from the classic prep, to the chic homeless look that somehow looks put together.

I cannot.

I dress like a slob to lectures and I am proud of it. I take pride in being able to throw on a big college t-shirt grab a pair of leggings and a scarf and call myself “put together.” But I am not alone. There is always an army of people who look exactly like me in different variations. The no makeup look is definitely essential, probably a bun in the hair, and if you own a pair of glasses – real or fake – you will occasionally include that in the mix.

I could have an 8am or a 12pm to start off my day and the outfits do not vary. I understand the saying “dress to impress,” but the only people I am impressing with my outfit choices are the people who stand behind me on my decisions.

Crammed into a lecture hall is no place for jeans, makeup and nice clothing. Comfort is the key – leggings, hair messily pulled back, and my t-shirt going down to my knees sounds much more inviting. I have no regrets when I walk out of the dorm and I am comfortable, slightly cold, but comfortable and I see a group of girls in boots, jeans sweaters and makeup.

WHO HAS TIME FOR THAT. They clearly do not appreciate their sleep if they are waking up two hours prior to class.

All of the people, including myself, who look like a slob for lectures are the epitome of outfit repeaters. The first thing in my drawer I grab with a pair of leggings and make it an outfit.

Some people take pride in never wearing an outfit combination twice, but I find no shame.  I find it impressive that I can wear a rotation of 20 t-shirts and it never gets old for me. Some people may look at me in disgust in my same outfit to the same lecture with my same messy hair, but to them I look the  other way. I applaud those people to have the effort and ability to find such a nice outfit on a Wednesday morning, but I clearly do not have that sense of style everyday of my life.

To the slobs like me, stand loud and proud. Embrace your outer sloppiness and never succumb to the superior being. Swim in your own direction, make your own path, but always look like a slob to lectures.

University of Maryland