The awkward and disastrous tales of living with a random roommate

These girls got it so wrong

Deciding to go random when picking a freshman roommate is a risky move. Opting to live and sleep just a few feet away from someone you have never met and are judging off social media is a tough thing to do. While sometimes this leads to lifelong friendships, it can also go horribly wrong.

We talked to some University of Maryland freshman who have survived this long with a random roommate. We heard all of their most cringeworthy random roommate horror stories.

“The first week of college my random roommate and I were getting along great. The only problem I had with her was that every time I invited her to hang out with me we would go back to our room and she would tell me how much she hated my friends.

“Other girls on our floor told me how whenever I wasn’t around she would say that I was being stolen from her, when I didn’t even know anything about her.

“The first weekend (by the way, the only weekend which my roommate has stayed at school past a Thursday) I came back to my room at around 1am to my roommate and other girls on my floor reading through my texts, on my laptop, and making fun of me.

“She didn’t understand why I didn’t want to be friends with her after that. I still walk into my room on occasion with her going through my things.”

“My roommate sleeps in the middle of our floor on a couch pillow she keeps in the closet. One day I came home late in the dark and started changing and I was legitimately fully naked and looked down and she was right below me, awake, and just didn’t say anything.”

“One of my roommates changes inside her closet with the door closed. Once I was talking shit because we didn’t know she was in there and she just walked out of the closet and we were like oops.”

“One of my two random roommates was homeschooled until college, which has made for an interesting first semester. Her family also doesn’t believe in vaccines, so here’s hoping that the flu season isn’t too bad this year.”

“My roommates were best friend coming into school, and I was randomly assigned to them. One night they came home from frats, and they were really drunk. I was sleeping in my bed, and when I looked up to see what was making so much noise, I saw one of them, who sleeps on the top bunk, puke off the top bunk onto the other ones shoes, and go back to sleep. She made her boyfriend clean it the next day.”

“My roommate left the stove on overnight cause she wanted mac and cheese when she was really drunk. When I woke up the stove was still on, and there was raw Ramen burning in the pot. My ramen!”

University of Maryland