Surviving the move back into halls in the snow

It was 70 degrees on Christmas. Don’t be that out of state person who thinks it will still be

Snow Blizzard Jonas hit the Maryland, D.C., Virginia area, on Friday afternoon and continued all into early Sunday morning.

Storms are a problem only if spring semester “move in” is scheduled for the same weekend. There were many different ways students moved in successfully and survived the snowstorm.

The choice is to stay or go

Early “move in” before the storm was one option provided by the University. This was only an option for those who live in the area. Freshman journalism major Jared Goldstein said: “I moved in early to avoid the snow.”

You are stuck in the dorms, but on the bright side you have a lot of time to unpack.

Come prepared

Due to the storm many of the diners and food shops on campus were closed or had limited open hours. Packing for an apocalypse is a must. Come armed with a hefty supply of Kraft mac and cheese and Campbell’s soup.

Find alternative routes

Major roads are closed. The Metro only has the red, green, orange lines open. The question remains, “how in the world do you get back to College Park.” Maybe call an Uber and if all else fails, resort to walking.

Pack accordingly

It was 70 degrees on Christmas. Don’t be that out of state person who thinks it will still be. The snow is piled up to knee and hip level. Don’t forget the boots and snowboarding jacket. Also, it might not be a bad idea to leave unnecessary items at home, maybe save only bring a pair of converse instead of one of each color.

Stay positive

Although it is cold and snowy, it’s still a beautiful day, right? Playing in the snow isn’t just for little kids. Freshman communications major Marisa Cabrera says she had a snowball fight to help pass time. Lets face it a floor mate snowball fight is probably the most fun anyone is going to have this semester, so you might as well take advantage of the snow while it lasts.

Wait it out

The reality is everyone in Maryland is snowed in. Don’t agonize over the fact that you can’t get your books from the Student Union. However, this is a great time to reorganize that room and seriously catch up on your shows. This is a perfect time to watch Netflix and chill.

Freshman journalism major Jared Beinart said he’s been spending the days: “strengthening my friendships.” Even after 3 days of shoveling and cleaning up, the campus still looks like the storm just hit.

Sure moving in to college during a blizzard isn’t the most desirable event, but we all can agree that the extra winter break days were much appreciated. 

University of Maryland