McKeldin Library is holding Star Wars-themed contests all week

They’re calling them ‘Exam Wars: The Turtle Awakens’

The contests will be a series of incentive-based activities students can participate in throughout the week, including a scavenger hunt, an illustration contest, and a “DubSmash” contest, where students send in their best Star Wars impersonations.

The purpose of the contests is to make students aware of less popular study spaces and library services so they can get more out of their time in the library leading up to finals week.

The library’s social media coordinator Aaron Ginoza told the Diamondback the competitions are specifically set up to encourage students to explore the floors of the library that are often neglected.

Participants are eligible to win prizes like an app-controlled robot, care packages made by library staff, or their own study room reserved for reading day and the week of finals.

Sophomore Maria Cedillo, who is a student assistant at McKeldin, said it’s frustrating finding space in the library, but that she hopes these activities will help to spread people out.

“We end up losing study time because we have to walk around looking for a space,” she said. “It’s nice that the library is taking the initiative to fix this problem.”

Senior Jimmy Parker said he doesn’t think the contests will help much, but he appreciates the library’s effort to maximize space.

“Finding space in the library is a lost cause, especially during finals week,”Parker said.”I think they’ve got the right idea, but students don’t exactly want to do extra activities right before finals week.”

University of Maryland