Student Government pushes Looney’s to change ‘no urban wear’ dress code

‘Absolutely NO urban wear’

The university’s student government passed a resolution last Wednesday to encourage Looney’s Pub to change the language used in its dress code after a unanimous 24-0 vote on the matter.

The current sign reads:

The Student Government Association’s Diversity Committee took issue with the “NO Urban wear” clause in particular, according to Committee Chairwoman Johanna DeGuzman.

DeGuzman claimed in a statement to The Diamondback that the language carries discriminatory connotations and the code specifically targets clothing that has historically been worn by and associated with minorities.

University of Maryland senior Dori Lee, who is a frequent customer of Looney’s, told The Tab: “I thought the sign was a joke at first. For such a relaxed sports bar as Looney’s, it seemed a little ridiculous.”

“Personally, I think the sign is outdated considering how much College Park has evolved in the past few decades,” Lee added.

An example of Looneys promotion found on their Instagram account

Junior Becca Almaraz had similar sentiments and agreed with the SGA that use of the term “urban wear” doesn’t help Looney’s cause.

“It doesn’t take much to read between the lines of this message and realize who the pub is not willing to welcome,” she said.

“They might have gotten away with this if the very first exemption wasn’t for ‘urban wear.’ Assuming only people from urban areas dress this way is a generalization in itself. Shame on them.”

University of Maryland