There was a #RenameByrd protest at the Indiana game

‘Get rid of Curley, do it in a hurry’

A small crowd of an immense audience protested during Saturday’s Indiana game in favor of renaming Byrd Stadium.

Protestors held up three banners while chanting “What was Curley Byrd about, we must keep the negros out” and “Get rid of Curley, do it in a hurry.”

This proceeded for approximately ten minutes during halftime as the Mighty Sound of Maryland performed and spectators observed.

Photo by Lauryn Froneberger

According to an NAACP executive board member, this project has been in the works since Spring 2015. The goal is to educate and bring about a change as the football stadium is currently named after former president Harry Clifton “Curley” Byrd.

During Byrd’s tenure at the university he never allowed African Americans to play on the football team.

Although today’s football team is far more diverse, this protest was a call to action.

NAACP and supporting organizations would like the stadium to be named after Darryl Hill, who was responsible for integrating Maryland’s football organization in 1963.

Photo by Lauryn Froneberger

Jordyn Knisley, a spectator at the game said: “I wish you guys had more supporters for your cause.”

But junior Taylor Jordan, one of the protestors, thinks the demonstration will prompt a conversation.

She told The Tab: “I felt like it had a bigger impact than I imagined because there were only a few of us. But I could see people’s reactions and some people were really mind-blown.”

There has been no response from President Wallace D. Loh or school officials.

So the question remains, has Preisdent Loh heard their request and will he act and make the change?

University of Maryland