Maryland crushed Mount St Mary last night

Terps fans watched an epic home opener with a 80-56 win

With five Terps in double digits, the No. 3 team in the nation won, possibly separating us well above at the top of the Big Ten.

The talent we have from transfers and freshmen outranks many teams in the entire NCAA. This is clearly our year to take the Big Ten.

In the win, the Terps showed this potential. We dominated the boards, beating them 44 to 20.

Rasheed Sulaimon passed the ball well, leading the team with 5 assists.

Our stars made big shots when we needed them. The scoring was well distributed.

It all seemed to click… Well mostly…

Despite all of this, we have a long way to go if we want to win a National Championship.

The Terps played extremely sloppy, turning the ball over 14 times. Whether you chalk it up to chemistry or playing down to the competition, it’s not a good look.

The fact of the matter is, championship teams have a pedigree of playing their best all of the time. If that was our best, the Terps need to work on getting the chemistry right. If not, then the attitude needs to change.

The kind of teams we will play on the road to a championship will make us pay for these kind of mistakes.

If we can secure the ball better though, this season will be one for the history books.

However, Big Ten champions No. 17 Wisconsin did a terrible job defending their title last night who lost in a shocker of an opener to Western Illinois. The final score was 69-67.

Their losses to the NBA appear to be showing strong and they may not be able to recover for this season.

At least we don’t have to be embarrassed about our opener.

University of Maryland