UNIFY UMD hosts Brunch with Benefits

A delicious way to raise money while uniting the community under a great cause

Yesterday UNIFY UMD hosted a brunch on Delta Delta Delta Sorority’s lawn to raise awareness about bringing together all Greek chapters from all councils, on-campus organizations, and the College Park community to make a united difference in the world.

“The goal of UNIFY UMD,” says Ross Brannigan, a member on UNIFY UMD’s executive board and active member of Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity Phi Deuteron chapter, “is to raise money for multiple charities worldwide, all while having fun with the diverse groups and organizations on our campus.”

Katriina O’Donnell, participant in UNIFY UMD and member of Delta Delta Delta Sorority at the University of Maryland with her sister Maarika O’Donnell on the Phi Gamma Delta bench.

Phi Gamma Delta, Delta Delta Delta, and Alpha Epsilon Phi, in combination with Students Helping Honduras kick started the organization’s first event with co-sponsors Alpha Tau Omega, Phi Delta Theta, Alpha Omicron Pi and Alpha Epsilon Pi.

Around 200 students enjoyed the buffet style brunch which offered a variety of breakfast choices including scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon, French toast sticks, muffins, bagels, Dunkin Donuts munchkins, hot cocoa and coffee.

Participants could enjoy their brunch with friends at any of the dining tables set up outside the Delta Delta Delta sorority house or on the famous Phi Gamma Delta bench.

Over $3,500 was raised at the event alone from the brunch tickets, donations, and the co-sponsorships. The money will be evenly donated to each chapter’s philanthropy, including St. Jude’s Research Hospital, Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, United Service Organizations, and the non-Greek organization Students Helping Honduras.

Sunshine, foliage, and breakfast. What more could you ask for? Thanks UNIFY UMD

“The event was definitely a success,” says Brannigan, “the goal of the event was for students throughout the community to come and enjoy a brunch together, while at the same time spreading the word and supporting our cause”.

The UNIFY UMD brunch was the first event organized by the group, but will not be the last. UNIFY UMD hopes to get more organizations involved to ultimately host a larger event on campus.

The organization wants to invite all members of the community to get involved with UNIFY UMD to create relationships campus wide that connect students of all ages and backgrounds under the unified passion to make a difference together.

University of Maryland