The rise of Maryland basketball and the fall of Maryland football

Time to focus on the real sport that matters

It’s been a long time coming, but this past weekend has made it painfully obvious: Maryland isn’t a football school anymore.

Homecoming weekend is supposed to be the time for the football team to shine. Instead, it became the opening weekend for basketball.

For the first time, a basketball exhibition game was more important than the homecoming football game.

I’m not sure whether this is embarrassing or promising to be honest. It could just be a bad year for football, which could get turned around next year with incoming recruits and a new coach.

Our football team has looked worse before. Despite our record, we have at times looked like a mediocre team.

But then again, maybe not.

Terps during Homecoming game this past Saturday

The game against Wisconsin was a microcosm of the season:

There were quarterback changes galore as three different quarterbacks saw snaps.

Caleb Rowe managed to improve to second in the NCAA in interceptions.

Despite this, we even looked good after some big plays to get us on the board.

I guess, if I had to choose a play, it could all be summed up in the onside kick.

The score was 31-24 Wisconsin. Having just scored a touchdown, the Terps elect to onside kick in an attempt to tie the game and send it to overtime. With perfect execution by the kicker, Sean Davis recovers the ball and runs it all the way into the end zone for an apparent game tying touchdown… until it is called back for an offsides penalty from the other side of the field.

So close, but so far.

That’s been the season for the Terps. Game after game, our mistakes have cost us dearly.

No matter what you think will happen next year, one thing is clear: there is nothing to look forward to in football this season.

Football has been awful and even though there are three games still left in the season, it feels like it’s already over.

The fact of the matter is, we have something to look forward to in basketball that isn’t in football.

In the exhibition we saw Diamond Stone, freshman five star recruit, lead the Terps in scoring with 16 points from a dominant display in the paint. We saw Robert Carter Jr. strike fear into the hearts of the Penmen (which, by the way, is the worst mascot ever) with four viscous blocks on defense. Returning stars Melo Trimble and Jake Layman looked strong as ever, definitely improving on last season.

In decisive fashion, the Terps beat Southern New Hampshire 91-55.

Sure its an exhibition game we are supposed to win, but its a nice change in pace from football to see that “TERPS WIN” graphic up on the board.

There is a future for Maryland basketball this season. There isn’t for football.

So put your football jersey away. Go out to the store and buy a basketball jersey with number two proudly stitched into the back. Wear it around everywhere and brag to friends at other schools about our players who will be in the NBA very soon.

We’re a basketball school now.

University of Maryland