Readjusting after a semester abroad is the realest struggle

Ever heard of something called reverse culture shock?

When I first heard the term “reverse culture shock,” I was lying on a beach in Uruguay. It was mid-March and over 70 degrees, and I was thinking about my college friends back in Ohio, who had spent the better half of the morning sending me Snapchats about a fluke snowstorm that had assaulted Kenyon’s campus that night.

I had only been in South America for about three weeks, but it wasn’t the first time I was happier to be south of the equator than I would have been back home in the States, and in the five subsequent months I spent studying abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina, I had this feeling more times than I can count.

My abroad experience wasn’t perfect, but I loved it. I became a different, more pleasant version of myself in Argentina, and during my first several months back at school, I realized just how real “reverse culture shock” can be. It’s taken me a minute, but I’ve found some ways to beat it.

Talk about your abroad experience…but not too much!

This one can feel like a double-edged sword because it’s such a fine line to walk. During my first month back at Kenyon, my friends who studied abroad and I would gush about our international experiences for hours. We swapped stories about semester-long love affairs, fun classes and quirky cultural habits we’d picked up in our respective host countries. This always felt like such a cathartic experience in the moment, but afterwards, it always left me feeling depleted and empty. I was spending too much time living in the past and not enough time enjoying the moment (and my senior year).

Remember your pre-abroad friends that are on campus

It’s easy to tell stories about the cool French housemate you had or the Argentine girl who became your best friend, and your good friends will dutifully listen to these anecdotes. After a while, though, your college friends might come to think you’d rather be with these other people you keep mentioning than on campus with them, and that’s no good for anyone. Everyone changes after a semester abroad, but everyone changes from semester to semester, period. Your friends who chose to stay on campus aren’t static characters, and they’re certainly different than the last time you saw them. Ask about their time just as attentively as they would listen to you.

Continue to develop your new interests

In Argentina, I was introduced to reggaeton artists I’d never heard of in the States. Now, I spend all my free time listening to Gente De Zona and Marama, and I’m writing my senior comps about Nicky Jam. My friends don’t understand why I cry when I hear “El Perdόn,” and that’s okay. By enjoying the music I discovered in Argentina, I am able to incorporate aspects of my abroad interests into my life in Ohio, and that helps to reconcile those two identities that I thought, until recently, could not coexist.

Keep up the language

For me, that meant more than just enrolling in another Spanish class. Most my friends in Argentina were locals, so I picked up a pretty convincing Argentine accent. My Spanish classes at Kenyon consist of students who have developed a hodgepodge of accents, and I pronounce my Argentine sh’s with pride. It’s a great way to feel immersed in the culture, and my Argentine friends are always happy to hear I didn’t forget the porteño way of speaking whenever we Skype or FaceTime.

Stay informed about local issues

I now scour the international section of The New York Times for any mentioning of Argentina or its neighbors, and I avidly follow Argentine online publications to stay up to date on what’s happening in-country. This helps me to feel like I’m still a part of the culture I came to love, and it makes me sound like less of a boluda when talking to my friends who live in Buenos Aires.

I became a different person during my time abroad in Argentina, whether through the confidence I gained or the Spanish skills I developed. Some days are harder in regarding finding ways to utilize my news attributes, but the transition becomes easier as the semester continues. I am looking forward to returning to Argentina once I graduate, but until then, I have found little ways to make Kenyon feel like home again.

Coming soon