How to get your head in the game for your first day at a summer internship

Spoiler Alert: It involves frappuccinos

Alright folks, it’s time to prep for the best summer of your life. (And no, I don’t mean it’s time to prep for a week at the beach). I’m talking about rocking your internship.

As many of us know, the hardest part about any internship is the first day. We all dread setting our alarm to 7am for the first time and waking up nervous about the day to come. Fortunately for you, there are plenty day-before and day-of tricks to guarantee you have a successful start to – what will be – the greatest internship of your life.

Lay everything out then night before

Pick out your outfit, pack you lunch, and fill your briefcase. Nothing is worse than running late on the first day because you lost your wallet.

Pack your briefcase like you’re packing for the apocalypse

Okay- you can leave the canned goods at home. But, I recommend having a miniature first-aid kit, sewing kit, snacks, and maybe even a comfy change of shoes. As we know, the first day is nerve-racking, and the last thing you’ll want to do is be panicking in the bathroom over button that fell off your shirt.

The night before, get in bed early and sleep well

This might be obvious, but I find it’s the hardest to execute. If you’re coming straight off a college schedule, you’re going to want to fight off every impulse to get in bed by 9pm. Similarly, you’ll find it’s hard to fall asleep so early. I recommend reading or trying meditation to fall asleep- just not binge-watching Netflix or you’ll be up all night.

Set your alarm to something that you enjoy

There’s nothing worse than waking up to a loud, ear-piercing alarm. It’s guaranteed to put you in a bad mood. Instead, set your alarm to something soothing that will give you a peaceful wake-up.

Did I even wake up early if I didn’t snap about it?

Get out of bed- just do it

The hardest part of any morning is lifting your head off of the pillow. The longer you roll around in bed, checking your phone, and pretending like you can spare another 5 minutes, the more stressful your morning will actually be when you realize how much time you wasted.

Moisturize your pretty face

This is more personal preference than science, but I find easiest to wake up if I moisturize my face the minute I get out of bed. The moisturizer makes my skin feel awake and ready to face the day – not to mention it makes putting on makeup easier.

Eat a power breakfast

This is easily the most important. The most productive of mornings start with a strong, protein-packed meal. And even though recent studies claim breakfast has been demoted from “most important meal of the day,” starting an internship on an empty stomach is guaranteed to turn out less than fabulous.

I admit this isn’t the healthiest breakfast, but it kept me full all morning.

Treat yo’self

If you have the time, stop at Starbucks on your way into work and don’t let anything stop you from getting that Grande Caramel Frappuccino (with whipped cream). Today is the start of the greatest internship of your life. You deserve it.

It’s not Starbs, but it’s close enough.

Coming soon