Despite public backlash, JMU students support FROG orientation letter

The list went viral and received very mixed reviews

The Daily Caller, a conservative news site, recently published a piece criticizing a letter FROGs at JMU orientation were given. In the letter is a list of 35 statements deemed “dumb,” “offensive” and “non-inclusive.” Some of theses statements include “some of my best friends are…” “I don’t see color” and “it is so much better now. Be patient.” The list included the statements, followed by the speakers’ intent and the impact it could have on the receiver.

This letter, which was created by Dr. Maura Cullen, a professional diversity and leadership speaker, was given to FROGs to use as guidelines to start a conversation about inclusivity with their freshman, according to Director of Communications Bill Wyatt. He went on to mention the job of the FROGs was to make freshmen feel welcome and help them integrate into the JMU community and that this was not speech code, and at no point were they told they can’t use these statements.

Wyatt, in response to critics claiming this targeted Christians, said “I don’t know how they got that. It’s just an exercise for people to see how language affects other people. Our university is very diverse, and so because of that, we’re constantly trying to do things to include everyone. Our community is better because of that.”

However, are these statements fair to avoid, or is it in the territory of political correctness and oversensitivity? We asked JMU students to express their thoughts.

Tina Rowland, Senior

“I think it is important that the university gave this list to people because as the first people that newbies interact with, they should be aware that people generally mean well, but it’s possible that some people are coming from places where this may very well be the first time they are exposed to different ideas and cultures. This list provides reasoning behind some of the things people say with the best of intentions but are still considered micro-aggressions towards some people.”

Mohammad Khan, Freshman

“I think the list was important to prevent potential offenses and inform the OPAs about problematic speech. I think some of the items on the list were phrased a bit too condescendingly, but overall the intent of the list was from a place of good will.

“I don’t think anyone can realistically specify everyone possible micro-aggression in a list, but this was definitely a step in the right direction. The orientation process was a really positive experience for me so I think the OPAs did a good job upholding the list’s suggestions!”

Annie Laukaitis, Junior

“Honestly, I think it’s good that they handed it out because it makes students aware of social etiquette for our rapidly evolving culture. However, I do think it was a little condescending in a way. I do not think it was completely necessary, but I do think it may have helped many students become aware of current social issues; I think that it can work as a step in a more positive direction.”

Anika De Guzman, Freshman

“I feel that a lot of the statements were very cringe-worthy while reading and it’s hard to picture someone saying them out loud but it was good to acknowledge those statements in the case someone actually were to say them.

“However, I think that it’s a bandaid on the issue it doesn’t necessarily fix anything or change anyone’s mindset, but I do think it’s a good step in the right direction.”

Patrick McGrath, Junior

“I do believe this is a step in the right direction, because it is attacking it right at the root of the problem, which is face-to-face conversation. By trying to fix how people speak to one another, and pointing out flawed generalizations, I definitely think this list is continually pushing towards a better on-campus community.

“The only problems I see coming from this list are people who disagree with how certain sentences have certain implications and that trying to tell or imply to people what and what not to say is a necessary thing.”

James Madison University