Everything locals know about Ashburn, VA

A guide to living in ‘Cashburn’

Ashburn, VA is a large town located in Northern Virginia. Ashburn is a part of Loudoun County, also referred to as the “Richest county in North America.” Being from Ashburn, I sometimes receive scrutiny.

Well, here is the guide to living in “Cashburn.”

High school sports are important

My family and I after the 2016 VA Boys Lacrosse State Championship

No matter what season, or sport, Ashburn is always pumping out state championships and D-1 athletes. In fact, Stone Bridge High School won nine state championships in one school year. As a Briar Woods High School student, this hurt. High school contained fond memories, in school and out. Whether it was the amazing dances, charity events or the rival football games, high school will be hard to forget.

Top Golf (TG)

Photo credit: Yelp.com

If you’re driving down Route 7 past Lansdowne, you’re bound to see giant nets on the side of the highway. This is Top Golf. A driving range turned restaurant, Top Golf is always the place to be on the weekends. Also, everyone and their mother works there, making it easy to point out someone you know no matter what time of day.

A trip to Scott’s Run or Great Falls

If it’s summer time in Ashburn, make sure to visit two of the best hiking places in Northern Virginia. Scott’s Run and Great Falls are truly beautiful places to hike and swim, but it’s the picture quality that matters at the end of the day. Trust me, you can’t check your Instagram feed without seeing a few teenagers decked out in hiking gear and swim suits.

The shopping trips

Tyson’s Corner

The big three: Dulles Mall, Tyson’s Corner and the Leesburg Outlets. With all the money floating around in the pockets of young teenagers, it is always fun to take shopping trips. The outlets provide a wide variety, however it is the sheer abundance of stuff in Tyson’s Corner and the Dulles Mall that draw the attention of most people’s wallets.

Concert season

My closest girl friends and I at Jiffy Lube Live

Oh boy… here we go. When the sun goes down on Saturday night during the summer, the smell of alcohol rains heavy at Jiffy Lube Live. Personally, concerts don’t really intrigue me. If I want to hear a song, I’d rather listen to it on my phone than be around a bunch of drunk high school students. Don’t get me wrong, being with friends at concerts is a fun thing to do, but it’s such a hassle breaking a kid out of ‘Jiffy Jail,’ a place where the fake cops take the drunk kids for the night.

Conquering the unexpected weather patterns

In the year 2014, the forecast one day in December was around 65 degrees and sunny. This past winter, Ashburn received almost four feet of snow in a week. Along with the snow patterns in the winter, the summer could bring scorching days near 100 degrees and then drop to 60 degrees the following day.

As the son of a former Army officer, I am no stranger to moving around a lot. Over my childhood I had the opportunity to live in some pretty cool places, but only one has a special place in my heart. Ashburn, VA is home, and I am proud of everything that it offers to kids like me. Without moving to “Cashburn,” I wouldn’t have had the same opportunities that granted me admission into James Madison University.

So this piece is for someone like me, someone who is proud to be from “Cashburn.”

James Madison University