So you’re about to be a senior at JMU

Everything you need to do before you graduate

If you’re about to be a senior at JMU chances are you’ve already spent some time thinking about your final year. This is the beginning of the end, which means it’s your last chance to squeeze in all of the JMU and Harrisonburg goodness and do all of the things you’ve been meaning to do since you were a freshman. The traditional JMU bucket list should not be ignored. Make sure you attend a football game this year, and streak the quad if you’re up for it, but there are a lot of other things you need to do before graduation. Be sure to add these to your senior bucket list.

Go to Backcountry 

Backcountry feels like a more grown up frat party. Even if you’re not into the party scene, you need to experience it at least once. So go, drink too much, wait in line, ride the bull, and dance your heart out. You might have some regrets the next morning, but you’ll be glad you experienced a Harrisonburg gem.

Brunch off-campus

Downtown Harrisonburg has some awesome brunch spots you need to check out before you leave. Grab some breakfast sliders at Billy Jacks, or check out Food.Bar.Food for some more exotic choices and all the bloody marys you could hope for. Better yet, try all of the brunches because brunch is good for the soul and the options downtown are endless.

Hike 

If you haven’t already hiked during your time at JMU get on it. The valley has so many beautiful hiking trails within a short drive of campus. Remember it gets cold early, so don’t put this on the back burner. Plus the fall foliage makes for an even better hike.

Take a New-Rec Class

Hopefully by this point you have been to UREC and seen the updated facilities. The new group exercise studios are amazing, and JMU offers a variety of classes. It’s easy to take advantage of opportunities like these when you’re caught up in school work, but you probably won’t have the chance to participate in group exercise classes for free ever again. So try out a bunch and find your favorite, they are a great way to keep active and have fun.

Attend a concert 

JMU hosts three major concerts a year, plus tons of free concerts in TDU. Even if the performing artist isn’t your favorite (Beyoncé is hard to book) go and have fun. This is your chance to be at a full scale concert with almost entirely JMU students at a fraction of the price you would pay elsewhere, which is really awesome. These are the kind of experiences you won’t have again after college so don’t miss your chance.

Go out during the week

Somewhere other than the library. There is something to do every night of the week in Harrisonburg. Attend a steal the glass night at Capital Ale, or take advantage of $2 rails at the Artful Dodger on Tuesdays. No matter what day of the week it is, trivia is happening somewhere. Weekends are limited, so make sure you are squeezing in all of the fun you can during the week.

Literally do everything

Between classes, clubs, jobs and whatever else you might have going on your senior year it is easy to get overwhelmed and stressed. It is important to take a step back and remember that college is coming to an end. Which luckily means your school induced stress will soon subside, but also that you probably won’t be living in Harrisonburg with your friends for much longer. Take the time to do all of the things you haven’t, and to keep doing all of the things that you love. Hanging out on the quad on a beautiful day will never get old. The campus views will never seem dull, and tailgating for football games will never get boring. Do everything on your JMU bucket list and more.

James Madison University