Dear World Project at JMU

‘If you had one message to share with the world, what would you say?’

Have you ever found yourself in a conversation with someone, someone that perhaps you may not know well, and find yourself asking that person a question? That question takes them from being in the moment with you, to somewhere in their memory. Their face softens, their eyes light up, and they smile, a genuine smile, as they take you on a journey of what they feel passionately about. For me, moments like these are what give me hope – give me joy for the life.

“Live Life Passionately” was the message I wrote across my forearms. Sometimes I worry, especially at school, that we lose our sense of wonder. We get caught up in a routine and stick to it. Comfort is a state of being we are happy with once we find it. But time is not only one of the greatest gifts we have in life, but also one we most waste. It’s time to stop wasting our time with what feels comfortable, and make that time to do what we love, to find our passion and dive right into it!

Last week JMU had the incredible opportunity of hosting the Dear World Project right here on our campus. For three days they asked students what their message to the world was. Then together we wrote these messages on our body, and captured the moment to later share with the world. Through images, we can share our story but also see other students’ stories.

These images are what give life to our curiosity, begging the question, to find out more about other JMU students, letting us get to know someone we didn’t know before. It’s a spark of conversation. Through the images we are able to ask them what the rest of their story is, finding out what those few words they chose to display on their body stand for. I thought that was the neatest part of having the Dear World Project come to our campus. Here at JMU we are one: one community, one family. And now we get to see and learn more about who makes up our family. No family, no person, is perfect, and it is this that makes life beautifully made.

The Dear world Project started back in New Orleans in 2009. It started when the people of New Orleans were writing and sharing their “love notes to the city.” From there the project was born. The Dear World Project “Explores stories of hope. Stories of struggle. Stories of a brighter day,” said Robert Fogarty. Their next step, as Fogarty mentioned in his note on the Dear World’s webpage, “We’re working towards a beautiful, wonderful world where more people send a message to family, friends and strangers in this way.” If you didn’t get the chance to be involved on campus, or did and still want to find out more, check out their website and Facebook page listed below! In about a week’s time their Facebook page will have an entire album of us! Once again JMU, we’ve left our mark on an incredible organization.

http://www.dearworld.me/

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.974398775947676.1073741890.159338960786999&type=1&l=0c5b0ade9d

James Madison University