Wilson Hall bell ringer job posting a hoax

Sorry kids, you won’t be ringing the bell any time soon

Yesterday, James Madison University posted an article that a man named Ron “Coop” Payne was retiring from his position as the Wilson Bell Ringer.

For the first time since 1985, the job posting had become vacant. Coop was selected from approximately 100 applicants so it was clearly a competitive position.

Students finally had the chance to apply to make a huge impact on thousands of people. Here’s what the qualifications looked like:

Must be comfortable going up and down stairs? I don’t know how many people would say they’re “comfortable” with that but students here definitely have experience in that domain, our terrain isn’t called the Hills of Harrisonburg for nothing. Must be comfortable in small spaces? Must be comfortable with heights? Sorry, claustrophobes and acrophobes, maybe this isn’t for you. But hey, who wouldn’t love to hang out with the Duke Dog?

To everyone that was excited to get the chance to ring the iconic Wilson bell and see the campus from a glorious vantage point, I’m here to apologize and tell you that the job has been taken (technically it was never vacant). Unfortunately, when you clicked to view the job posting, you got this message:

Yet again, technology wins (of course it’s automated). In light of that, let’s give a shout-out to the Facilities Management team and thank JMU for having a sense of humor.

James Madison University