JMU Catholic Campus Ministry goes all out for Easter

Guess who’s back, back again, Jesus’ back, tell your friends

Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 7.45.16 AM

Picture courtesy of Catholic Campus Ministry

If you celebrate Easter and can’t return home this week, you don’t have to worry about that FOMO (fear of missing out). Catholic Campus Ministry has put together a week of events starting on Palm Sunday (this past Sunday) and going through the 27th. With all these community events, it’s hard to feel left out this Easter. All our welcome, you don’t have to be a member of Catholic Campus Ministry. The Tab asked members what they thought of the group and the upcoming events for this week.

Aleixka Macfie-Hernandez, Junior , SMAD

How involved are you in Catholic Campus Ministry?

I started going to CCM just last semester. I joined the CCM Communications Committee and now I’m the head of Instagram! I’m in charge of updating our account at least three times a week. Sometimes I also contribute graphics for events if no one else had the availability to do them.

What’s your favorite thing about the group?

To be honest, I’ve only ever talked to one of the members in person, all other communication is via our Facebook group or messenger. But everyone is really nice and offer opportunities to everyone.

Are you attending any of the events planned for Easter?

I went to Palm Sunday yesterday, but because my week day schedule is so busy the only other event I’ll be going to is Easter Sunday mass. I really want to go see The Passion of Christ, but if I can’t make it, I already know it’s on Netflix.

Which event are you most excited for?

Easter Sunday Mass.

Suzi Windland, Junior, Interdisciplinary Liberal Studies

How involved are you in Catholic Campus Ministry?

I am the current Student Campus Minister which is essentially the president of the organization.

I really enjoy seeing all the passion and just the liveliness of the group.

Are you attending any of the events planned for Easter?

I will be at all the events for the Easter season.

Which event are you most excited for?

That’s a hard question because all the events are so unique and I love certain parts about all of them. If I would have to pick on I would say Holy Thursday just because of the focus on community and then getting to end with adoration where you can just sit in Gods presence to feel love and really mediate on what is going on.

Gian Gonzalez, Senior, Economics

This past year I had the humbling experience of being the student campus minister of JMU CCM. Essentially I had the duties of the president including meeting with our wonderful chaplain and empowering our student council to succeed in our many events. Besides that, I lead a Bible study with over ten guys as well as help out in our outreach events.

My favorite part about CCM is that it is my home and my family. Every time I step into the CCM house, I feel so much peace and happiness. People are always there and ready to welcome you. Honestly, the community at CCM is full of life, joy, and love. Furthermore, they are a family that keeps me accountable and enables me to be the best man of God I can be. There are so many moments, both happy and sad, that bring everyone together as a family. I love just hanging out playing exploding kittens or spikeball with people in CCM or celebrating Mardi Gras or Easter! It’s equally as beautiful to see the community come together in prayer within the Mass or Adoration thanking God for the many blessings he gives us or interceding for the death of a loved one or the healing of friends and family. Basically I love seeing Christ in everyone at CCM.

I’ll be attending all the events this week, because I love the experience. It is us walking with Christ on this journey of love: his passion, death, and resurrection. There are a plethora of amazing events this week and best of it all starts tomorrow, the Triduum. On Holy Thursday, we’re having Mass with the feet washing and Adoration with praise and worship until midnight. On Good Friday, we have the stations of the cross at 3pm on the Quad, where we reflect on Christ’s passion by carrying a cross around the Quad and pray on His stations. My personal favorite part of the Triduum is the Easter Vigil on Saturday 8pm at the Blessed Sacrament Church downtown. The entire Catholic community of Harrisonburg comes together to celebrate the Resurrection of Christ. It begins with a beautiful candle lighting outside and then a procession into the darkened Church. The readings are read in English and Spanish by different members of the diverse Catholic community. I’m always amazed by the beauty of having everyone together praising God.

Which event are you most excited for?

One of my other favorite parts of the Easter Vigil Mass and the Easter Sunday Mass is when we have people enter into full communion with the Catholic Church through the Sacraments of Baptism and Confirmation. It’s awesome to welcome and celebrate their joining info the Catholic Church.

The Easter Sunday Mass is at 11am in the Festival ballroom. It’s often one of our biggest Masses of the year, reaching over 500 people!

Sandra Richie, Junior, IDLS-Secondary Education

I am very involved at CCM! This year I’m a co-leader for a Freshman Faith Community, which is a co-ed small group for freshmen to talk about their faith, and learn more about CCM and JMU. Very recently, I became the Liturgy Chair, which means I’m in charge of coordinating Mass and other prayer services or liturgical events. That includes Holy Week and Easter!

My favorite thing about CCM is the people. Everyone is so kind and loving and complicated. Every single person at CCM has a story to tell and because CCM is such a safe and welcoming place, people tend to open up and share a lot of incredible stories. All of my friends are at CCM. I feel safe there and loved and challenged. We love each other and encourage each other to be our best selves.

Yes, I’m attending almost all of them since I’ve been in charge of planning them all! Even if I wasn’t in charge, I would still be going. In years past, I’ve gone home for Easter, but everyone at CCM says you should experience a “CCM Easter” at least once while you’re at JMU, and they’re right. Holy Week, the week leading up to Easter, is my favorite time of year. The week itself, especially Thursday, Friday, and Saturday (together called the Triduum), is very solemn, continuing with the theme of fasting and prayer that we practice during Lent. It makes the joy of Easter morning that much more powerful when you spend a lot of time thinking and praying about Jesus’ sacrifice and death.

Which event are you most excited for?

I am most excited for Easter Sunday Mass. I love seeing everyone come together and celebrate. There’s always so much joy and light, and I’m looking forward to seeing all the families and community members that come join us as well! As Catholics, we are a universal community united in love for Jesus and for each other, and I see that on Easter Sunday.

James Madison University