JMU is the greatest university in the state, country and probably the world

We are the Disneyland of colleges, plus we have a 60:40 girls to guys ratio

Three years later and I’m still bragging about how JMU is not only the university of Virginia, but also the whole damn world. And I’m pretty sure I’ll be bragging about being a Duke and bleeding purple for the rest of my days.

We may not be number one in anything, but any true Duke will admit that JMU is better than any ivy league school. Sorry Harvard, Yale and whatever other school would have sent me a rejection letter.

A small town campus

Ok, so we may not near a big city or ocean front, but we do have the best hiking around and not to mention a great night life.

This small town of Harrisonburg has a little bit of everything from bars and breweries on nearly every corner, local food restaurants and boutiques to a puppy farm, apple orchards and awesome swimming spots.

Junior Abbey Blouch says that her favorite part about downtown is that “it’s filled with unique, locally owned, small businesses so you get to experience cool places while also supporting the members of the community that you live in” and that “you also get a small city feel while being surrounded by nature.”

Old Rag Mountain

Just look at that view! Who could possibly say no to that?

School Pride

Everyone who attends or has visited JMU absolutely loves it. When I toured JMU as a junior in high school, I was blown away by the school pride, and even had multiple students interrupt our tour by shouting things like “J-M-U” to where we had to respond with “DUUUUUKES”.

Any true Duke will tell you that they bleed purple and gold and trust me when I say that every student has at least 20 JMU related social media posts, if not more. Everyone thinks of this school as “the happiest place on earth” and we even have a @JMUlove  Instagram account where students can tag @JMUlove and have their best campus photos featured. Basically, we’re super proud to be a Duke Dog. Super proud.

We have A LOT of girls

Lets just say that with a 60:40 ratio, it’s all in the guys favor. Yes, that’s right! 60% of the student population are females!

Greek Life

JMU currently houses 31 chapters on campus ranging from approximately 30 to 215 members.

Junior Marissa Bricker says that joining the Greek community has opened many doors for her. “I have met so many different people, given back to the community, and made so many strong friendships thanks to Alpha Delta Pi! I think the best part about it all is the sense of community and also knowing that at the end of the day, I have a sisterhood that I can always come home to.”

College GameDay

On October 24, 2015 ESPN College GameDay brought its weekly college football national pregame show to the Shenandoah Valley as part of JMU’s Homecoming Weekend. 12,000+ people took to the Quad in celebration and followed up by a sold out game.

James Madison was the 65th different school to host the show on its campus and 80th and 81st different teams to be represented at a GameDay site game

Campus Involvement 

With over 300 registered student organizations, there’s no possible way you can’t find your place here at JMU.

And if you really just can’t find anything you want to get involved with, you have the opportunity to start your very own club! Snaps to that!

As you can now see, there’s no denying that JMU is the greatest school on the face of the planet. This small campus town will give you the experience of a lifetime that no true Duke would trade for anything. Bottoms up to great memories, life-long friends and the special opportunity of being part of the happiest place on earth!

James Madison University