Why NOVA deserves more credit than it gets

Ever heard of it?

Typical conversation between JMU students: “Where are you from?” “I’m from Northern Virginia, you?” “Hey, me too!” Shocker.

Okay so not everybody at JMU is from NOVA, but there is definitely a large percentage of students who are.

Long hair, black leggings and Starbucks in hand are clear indications of the not-so-rare NOVA girl. We’ve all seen them around campus, and people seem to think they’re all pretty much the same. I’m guilty of every distinguishing factor mentioned above, so I’m one with the herd.

Often time when people think of a person from NOVA, they picture someone in a fairly wealthy family, who drives a nice car, shops at places like Vineyard Vines and South Moon Under, and generally has a pretty big ego. While some probably do live up to this standard, (c’mon, we all know that one person) we aren’t all exactly like this, I promise.

With all of the stereotyping and jokes that NOVA gets, is it really so bad? Absolutely not, it actually rocks.

For one, anyone who lives in this area is just a metro ride away from our nation’s capital, which is pretty great. Whether you are looking to take a tourist trip and visit the sites of DC, or spend the day wandering the streets of Georgetown- making sure to hit all the best shops, restaurants, and of course, Georgetown Cupcake- our convenient location that is so close to such fun destinations is perfect for any adventure.

In a hurry and need a quick pick me up? No problem, Starbucks has got your back because there’s one on basically every street in each city.

Being from Fairfax County, I know a lot of us complained about how tough the school system was. That is very true, and I often wished I didn’t have to deal with so much pressure from my school as well as peers to do well and get a competitive GPA. But now that I look back on it, the reason it was so hard is because it’s one of the best school systems in the country, and those high standards helped us all to become the students we are today, who now comprise part of the incredible student body of JMU.

Getting to a store or a mall is no problem, because you have multiple options that are all within 15 minutes of your house. This especially comes in handy on Black Friday, when it is essential to hit all the important spots in your hunt to find the best deals. Tyson’s Corner and Leesburg Outlets are favorite locations of mine to find the best stuff.

School field trips were the best because you got to go everywhere from historic Jamestown, to cool museums in DC, to the National Zoo. I have experienced many of the museums DC has to offer, so if you want to know about any of those, hit me up because I’ve basically got the places mapped out by now.

Theme parks? Yeah we’ve got plenty of them. I’ve taken countless trips to Water Country, Busch Gardens, Kings Dominion and Splash Down that are the essence of my childhood (and teen years because lets face it, the tea cup ride will never not be fun).

Although many people make fun of how JMU lacks in diversity, the general population of Northern Virginia is actually quite diverse. This of course depends on what county and area you live in, but overall there are many different cultures that represent NOVA as a whole, which is pretty cool.

Although NOVA residents may not be known as the best drivers, they sure know how to maneuver their way through traffic, because out there it’s a do or die situation if you want to get to your destination on time at the peak of rush hour. No number of cars is going to stand in the way of you and your Chipotle.

So maybe you’re not much of a city person. No need to worry, beautiful outdoors destinations are just a short drive away. Great falls, Burke Lake and the Shenandoah mountains are great places to hike, camp or just take a stroll and enjoy the scenery.

History is the backbone of Virginia, so if you’re looking for a way to travel back in time, look no further than your neighboring cities. In places like Fredericksburg and Manassas, you can experience some of our nation’s most important history. Did the Civil War really end? With all of the reenactments we northern Virginians love so much you’d never know.

Summer is the best in northern Virginia- there’s so much to do! There are constantly concerts in town, whether a major artist or a local band in a coffee shop, you’re bound to find something. Road trips to lakes and rivers make for great adventures of tubing or white water rafting, and beach trips are a blast. And there’s nothing like froyo after a relaxing day at the pool to make your summer day awesome.

Whether you enjoy shopping every weekend or spending a night under the stars, NOVA has a place for you. I am proud to be a part of this community, and it will forever and always be my home.

James Madison University