What we love most about New Rec

The best place to accomplish your New Years resolution before you give up and buy pizza

Now that school is back in full swing, students are eager to get back to the greatest place on Earth, JMU, especially with the long-awaited opening of the new addition to the University Recreation Center (UREC).

If you fear an over-crowded gym of New Year Resolutioner’s, fear no more! This expansion leaves plenty of room so every gym member, new or old, can enjoy their workout. If you haven’t checked it out yet or heard EVERYONE talking about it, here’s all the new additions you’re missing out on.

Weight, Cardio, and General Fitness Spaces more than 2.5 times the current size

That’s right! No more waiting 30 minutes for a treadmill!

Six Group Fitness Studios

Two mind-body spaces, one group cycling space, one TRX space, and two general use spaces

Three Multi-Activity Centers

Gym and court spaces containing two regulation basketball and volleyball courts in each, two have integrated goals for indoor soccer, and one includes batting cages and floor hockey goals

1/6 Mile Indoor Track

The 1/10 mile track will remain… but 6 laps instead of 10 makes all the difference in the world!

Old track feels…

… vs. new track feels!

Fitness/Instructional Pool, Hot Tub, and Sauna

The pool includes a jetted fitness channel, in-water volleyball court, and two basketball hoops. The hot tub is approximately 4 times the current size, featuring waterfalls and a natural, rocky look. A sauna has been added in the pool area. Finally! Am I right, ladies and gents?

The old part of UREC is being renovated and those spaces will open in portions as each renovation is completed. These new renovations will include: A squash court, a meditation room, an aquatics classroom, an instructional kitchen and a larger rock-climbing/bouldering wall.

If this isn’t motivation, I don’t know what is. Get pumped to get fit, JMU!

James Madison University