We spoke to the award-winning IC broadcaster challenging mental health stigma

“There shouldn’t be a stigma with getting help.”

“The Scoop on Mental Health” is a new podcast created by senior television-radio major Michayla Savitt. It’s a discussion-based show surrounding the issue of mental well being and addressing mental illness in the community.

Michayla was inspired to start the podcast because of her personal experiences. “I’ve been having my own battles with anxiety and depression for years, but I’ve had those issues since I was 12,” she said. “It’s always been prevalent.”

After struggling to make it through classes, she started to get help again. “I can’t emphasize enough how much it’s changed my outlook,” she said. Now she hopes that the podcast will help other people by sharing different stories and coping methods.

“There shouldn’t be a stigma for getting help. There shouldn’t be a stigma against not being okay or being depressed or having issues.” In order to help stomp out these stigmas, she came up with the idea for “The Scoop on Mental Health.”

Michayla has been involved with the college radio stations since her freshman year and has found comfort behind the microphone. A podcast allows her to focus solely on the importance of the topics rather than flashy visual elements.

Each episode will have one guest who has had their own battles with various mental health issues. It will feature a variety of people with different ages, majors and stories, allowing the audience to make their own personal connection. The story-based episodes are intended to show others that they aren’t alone. The guests will also share what they do to get through the day and the various ways they cope with mental health issues.

“A lot of students, especially upperclassmen, forget that their mental well being is just as important as their physical health,” she said, emphasizing the importance of the podcast as a learning tool. “It takes a lot of self awareness to know when to say no and when to slow down.”

During each episode, Michayla and her guest will be eating ice cream. She wants it to feel like her and a friend are out to get ice cream and talk about their feelings. “I’m hoping that brings a lighthearted feel to it and will make it more conversational.”

While she knew she had the support of her friends, Savitt learned just how much community support was behind her when she placed second at Ithaca College’s Park Tank competition. “It was hugely eye opening,” she said, sharing the excitement she experienced in getting advice from total strangers and the judges. “It’s helping the community and people support that.”

The first episode of “The Scoop on Mental Health” will be released today. You can find episodes on Facebook or Soundcloud. If you’re interested in sharing your mental health story on the show, you can contact Savitt via the Facebook link.

Ithaca College