All the mistakes you’ll inevitably make as a freshman at Ithaca

Dollars for vodka, quarters for TCAT

When you graduated high school, you’re at an all time high, you were the big fish in a small pond, the oldest, the coolest and the smartest.

The younger kids looked up to you and you actually felt like an adult receiving your fake diploma on stage in front of all your friends and family.

Fast forward to a few months and now you’re still a pretty big fish, just in a way bigger pond with way more papers to write and not enough time to eat, sleep, have a social life, or do anything productive for the next four years.

At Ithaca College, you’ll more than likely make a disgusting amount of mistakes throughout your first year as a bomber, and embarrassing ones at that.

Here’s every mistake you’ll make through your first year as a bomber:

Taking the TCAT to the wrong stop

The classic “I’m a freshman” move. You look up the times on the website thinking you’ve got it all down when all of a sudden you’re in the middle of Cornell’s campus when all you wanted to do was get to Urban Outfitters.

Paying to get into a party

Don’t. Ever. Do. It. Unless you really want to get into a party, but the money you give will go straight into the pocket of the kid asking you for it. There’s no jungle juice. No keg. Save your dollars for the TCAT.

Walking to Circles on Danby

You never ever walk on Danby. Just don’t. Need to go to some super cool Circle party your roommate heard about from some random? You can get there by staying on campus. You can even take the TCAT. The world is your oyster, just don’t walk there.

Opening a tab at Moonies

While this is a mistake made throughout your four years at Ithaca, it is definitely prominent freshman year. There’s a $10 minimum when you open a tab, which means you’ll spend about $40 buying your friends and strangers drinks. Just bring out cash, your bank account will thank you.

Not owning snow boots and a heavy and long coat

I walked around the winter of freshman year with rain boots on because I didn’t own the one thing that is essential to Ithacan life. My toes were cold, my feet hurt and my heart was basically frozen. Invest in some type of snow shoe and get a coat that will actually keep you cold when it’s sub-zero.

Going to an AEPi party

After their whole party theme debacle last year (yikes), AEPi is just that. Sooo last year. Just don’t go, no matter how much your floor mates beg you to.

Not having quarters for the TCAT

You can try to sneak on, but the drivers will watch you like a hungry hawk. Have your parents send you rolls of quarters like mine did, so you can save your precious dollars for things that matter more. Like vodka sodas at Moonies.

Thinking no one can tell you’re a freshman

We can. Take your lanyard off from around your neck.

Overdrafting your bank account

Make sure to always check your bank account balance or you’ll soon enough be -$400 from online shopping and scraping together pennies to eat on the weekends.

Waiting in line at Sammy’s after the bars

Just don’t do it. The line gets too long, the people get too rowdy and the freshman 15 is real. Go back to your dorm and order food if you really are in need of fuel for your body.

Staying out until the TCAT stops running and having to pay for a cab

The TCAT stops running at around 2 am, so if you’re out after that good luck getting a cab or walking all the way up to campus when there’s a foot of snow outside.

Not being able to find Job Hall

Like a real job after college, Job Hall is nearly impossible to find. Where is it? Is it a myth? Is it even a real building?

Having unlimited dining hall swipes

Like I said before, the freshman 15 is real. If you allow yourself unlimited access to unlimited food, it’ll turn into the freshman 30. Nothing will stop you from swiping in at random times of the day to just get some ice cream or a bagel or even chicken fingers.

Not getting enough Bonus Bucks

You probably got the lowest amount of Bonus Bucks and have already run out. While the food in the pub isn’t that great, it’s slightly more edible than the food in the dining halls.

Bringing your car to campus

You may think you really need it, but chances are you don’t. Unless you’re going home every weekend, having a car on campus your freshman year is more of an inconvenience than anything else.

You’re probably one of the only freshman with a car so everyone you’ve exchanged a hello with will ask you for a ride somewhere. It’s super expensive and you have to park the absolute farthest away from all of the freshman dorms.

Not figuring out how to get to all of your classes by going outside as little as possible

The first day the snow hits, you’ll probably walk outside trying not to cry so your tears don’t freeze on your face. Learn how to get to your classes without having to go outside early.

Hint: you can get from Campus Center to the admissions building without ever stepping foot in the great outdoors.

Ithaca College