An unofficial, but honest packing list for Ithaca College

One that you won’t find on google

So, you’re coming to Ithaca College. I’m sure you’ve made packing lists and have already begun tearing your room apart, but fear not. Here is the one packing list you won’t find when you Google “What should I bring to college” or “How to survive an Ithaca winter”.

This packing list is one that is specifically for you, incoming Ithaca student, and please don’t take it lightly. It may be between life and death.

Here are just a few things that every Ithaca student needs to survive:

Snow shoes

Or maybe even your own plow…whatever you feel is necessary. It snows a lot during winter, and it’s probably going to be the defining feature of your first team, so be prepared.

A look into the daily life of an Ithacan

A love for football

How else are you going to get through the greatest D3 game of the year without a love for your fellow bombers? Ithaca is football mad. Start revising the songs. Learn the starting line up, and find as many navy items of clothing as possible.

A heated blanket

Did I mention it was cold? My heated blanket is my best friend and boyfriend during the winter.

Lovely walk to class

Real people food

Because Sodexo will definitely not fulfill you. Prepare to take weekly trips to Wegman’s. You’re going to be hungry all of the time. Walking through snow will make you hungry. Going to class will make you hungry.

Quarters

Tons and tons of quarters. Your freshman year, you’ll be paying $1.50 for rides from the TCAT from caps to downtown each weekend. Start saving now.

A good pair of sneakers

For the hills. Trust me on this one. These aren’t for running, but just for walking, everywhere. To be matched with activewear.

An empty stomach

There are more restaurants per capita in Ithaca, NY than in NYC. You’ll need an empty stomach so you can try every eatery in town, including some of our favorites, Viva and the famous vegan and vegetarian restaurant, Moosewood.

An unlimited amount of leggings

Sadly, no one on Ithaca College’s campus is caught dead wearing sweatpants to class. The only ones who are brave enough to wear my favorite article of clothing are male athletes. Specifically football players. Sigh. Make sure to load up on athletic wear so you can look good and feel good.

A sled

How else are you going to get from class to class in the dead of winter? You can also snowboard to and from class, which makes for a great way to combine sports and your daily commute. Watch out for trees, bins, and your classmates though.

Frackets on frackets

Also called “frat jackets”. These are jackets or even sweatshirts you don’t really care about, because you might lose them or spill something on them. No one dares to go out on the weekends without a jacket on, so it might as well be one you are not particularly fond of.

Flannels, scrunchies & denim jackets

For 90’s night. Of course.

So, there you have it. Your ultimate packing list for incoming Ithaca College students. From what to wear to class to which transportation method is best (snowboard, obviously) this list is all you should need with you to survive your first semester. Good luck.

Ithaca College