‘The epitome of Bomber football’: Head Coach Mike Welch to step down

He’s had a 69% success rate

After 22 years, Bombers Head football coach Mike Welch will retire at the end of this season.

The much loved coach, who had a 69% success rate, has decided he’s going to begin a new chapter of his life with his wife and family.

As the second-winningest coach in the school’s history right after Welch’s mentor and Bomber legend Jim Butterfield, there will be large cleats to fill at the end of this season.

Speaking on Tuesday, the visibly emotional the Bomber alum, Coach Mike Welch said:

With Bomber pride in my heart and great consideration for the program I love, my wife Sue and I have decided that it is time to begin a new chapter in our lives at the end of this academic year. Our love of Ithaca College is deep, and I look forward to leading the 2016 Bomber football team to the success our tradition expects.

“Coming home to coach, winning two national championships… there’s nothing like being on the field when that clock rolls down, you look up and you’re the best in the country. I’ve come upon the twilight of my career. Ultimately, the decision had to be made.

“We’ve been talking about when it was going to happen over the last half year and we made the decision this year would be my last. We want to make the transition smooth so we don’t miss a beat and can continue the tradition of Ithaca football. That certainly played into the timing of this. Clearly, our focus is focusing on the 2016 football team. That’s what I’ve been doing for 32 years since I’ve been here.

“All my efforts, thoughts and actions, all I do from this point forward is preparing for every Saturday. As much as this is an important part of our lives and will certainly impact Ithaca College, we really want to focus on what I’ve been doing for years.”

After graduating from Ithaca in ‘73, Welch began his coaching career at Rush-Henrietta High School in Rochester. He then moved on to coach the Washington University Bears for four years and after ended up where he always belonged, coaching the Bombers.

Only the third head coach since 1958, Welch was inducted into Ithaca’s Hall of Fame at the end of September 2015 for all of his accomplishments on and off the field, including being named Division III coach of the year by College Sports magazine after his first season with the Bombers.

The hall of famer timed his retirement so there would be a smooth transition into the next season, with a new successor hopefully being named in December. The Bomber players and staff will need some time to adjust to the biggest change the program has had in 22 years.

Obviously, the entire Bomber family is sad to see Mike Welch go, especially captain and QB1 Wolfgang Shafer, who said in a tweet:

“Coach Welch is the epitome of Bomber football. I wanted to play for someone that was in the business for all of the right reasons. He has made hundreds and thousands of players better sons, brothers and teammates while showing us how to be great future husbands and fathers. He understands that his influence can make a difference. I’m honored to have been able to play for him. Congratulations and thanks for everything, Coach.

Coach Welch begins his last season coaching the Bombers on September 3 against Union at Jim Butterfield Stadium.

Ithaca College