Why people need to stop calling Journalism an ‘easy’ major

Don’t call it a ‘fallback’

If you’re a Journalism major, you know the condescending, “oooh…” response you get when you tell someone what your major is. The person you’re talking to probably thinks that journalism is dying, that this was your “fallback” major, or you just didn’t want to pick a “hard” job. And none of these are true.

Sure, hardly anyone reads newspapers anymore. But not only is online journalism exploding, there is SO much you can do with a Journalism degree. It can be a springboard into Public Relations, Social Media Analytics, Marketing, and so much more. So actually, having a Journalism degree now is maybe the best time to have one, because maybe YOU could be the one to help launch the next big online news outlet.

(But of course, nothing really beats seeing your name in print.)

Lots of people have the mindset that if they can’t decide what to do in college, they’ll just major in Journalism because it’s “easy.” And I want to smack them. “Oh, all you do is talk to people and write down what they say,” is the lamest argument for journos having it easy.

Yes, we talk to people. A lot of people. So if you’re shy, you better get over that real quick. But we have to build relationships with every source. We need them to trust us to tell their stories right. And sometimes that doesn’t come easy. Some sources never even return your call.

You can have a five minute interview where getting information is like pulling teeth, or the most amazing two hour interview of your life. Every source is different, and you need to learn to roll with the punches. And after the interview comes transcribing. Lots of transcribing.

For my upcoming narrative story, I currently have 41 pages of transcribed interviews. Yeah. 41.

And for a comprehensive journo education (like the one from the Park school) you’ll have to learn about aspects of the field you have absolutely no interest in. You’ll have to write politics and crime articles, create video packages and record voiceovers until you literally cannot stand the sound of your own voice.

(You’ll ask yourself “Do I really sound like that?…” many, many times.)

Then there’s the research. So much research. Whether for a singular article or a class. Thought journalism was just talking to people? Nope. You’ve gotta know your stuff. And sometimes it takes 25 pages to prove you know your stuff.

You will always be on a deadline. You will have all-nighters and days where you run purely on coffee. You will have stretches where you switch your story two days before deadline because none of your sources got back to you.

You will be told you’ll never make any money. You will be both the editor and the edited, so you need to know how to give and receive tough love. It’s a tough job, and it’s not for everybody.

And chances are, you’ll be asked to recite the SPJ Code of Ethics at any moment. (I’m looking at you, Professor Loop.)

Journalism is so much more than talking to people. But at the end of the day, that’s the best part about it. Meeting amazing people who trust you enough to let you tell their story. But don’t ever let anyone tell you it’s an easy job.

Journalism majors don’t pick this field for money or fame, because most of us will get neither. We do it because it’s our passion, and we would never want to do anything else.

Ithaca College