As an ISU cheerleader, I want to help UTSA compete at NCA College Nationals

It’s what’s fair

This morning I woke up to a Facebook notification that explained that the University of Texas at San Antonio cheerleading would not be attending NCA College Nationals for the 2017 competition. In the petition, it states that UTSA Athletics is refocusing the cheer program for next year.

UTSA has been attending NCA for the past 10 years where they’ve won a national title in 2012 and has taken second place the last two years in their division. NCA is the time for the cheerleaders to show what they’ve been working on all year long. Yes, cheering on the sidelines is fun too to support the school, but it’s the time for the cheerleaders to bring home their own national title.

As a college cheerleader, I would like to take the time to speak up on their behalf and to help their program continue to compete at NCA. As a member of a team that competes at NCA every year I understand their frustration. It’s something I personally look forward to every year and to have that taken away would be so hurtful. We strive to be the best we can be on and off the mat being that during games we’re putting on a show for the crowd and cheering on our team. To be a college cheerleader you must put gameday first and attend to your commitments of being a sideline cheerleader. Having that taken away would mean they don’t really care about UTSA’s previous national title and the their second-place finishes the past two years.

It takes so much athletic ability to be able to compete as a cheerleader. Cheerleading is one of the most underestimated sports today. It’s not a sissy, rah rah type of sport. People who aren’t a part of the cheer world have no idea how competitive it is.

To help this team you can sign the petition to help them continue to compete at NCA College Nationals. There are currently over 1,500 signatures and they must meet their goal of 2,500.

Iowa State University