We asked ISU students their most awkward Tinder experiences

Sometimes bad matches happen to good people

You all know and love it. Swiping right on the most attractive people with comical bios, and swiping left on your creepy old neighbor from 10 years ago that mildly stalked you. It’s Tinder. Having Tinder for a hook-up, a fun drunk activity, or to meet the love of your life, Tinder sure has made some very embarrassing moments for its users. I decided to interview a few guys and girls about their awkward Tinder experience. Hopefully their stories make you feel better about your horrible meet up with your Tinder match… Btw did I just match with a cat? 

Jacob, 20 (M)

Why do you have a Tinder/what do you look for on Tinder?

I got a tinder when I was in a relationship with my ex girlfriend because I knew we were going to break up and I was on the lookout for hot new girls

How many of your Tinder matches have you met in person? What do you usually do?

I’ve met a lot of my tinder matches on accident because I ran into them at parties or something, but on purpose I have met up with about five matches. Usually they will just come over to my apartment.

What’s your most awkward Tinder meetup?

I met this tennis player on Tinder and I was supposed to go home for the weekend, but I decided to stay because she wanted to hangout. I had her come over to my apartment. Some background info on my room is that my closet door is not connected to the hinges – it’s just laying against the wall covering the door frame to my closet. So anyways, we hooked up, she gave me a blow job, and when I finished she started to run out the room to spit, but she grabbed the closet door instead of the door to the bathroom. The door fell off the wall only to hit her in the head and knocked her to the ground. She was just laying there and I didn’t really know what to do, when all of the sudden the door fell from the wall (that bounced off her forehead) right on top her laying body. It was pitch dark and I couldn’t see anything so I couldn’t warn her that the door was falling or try to stop it. There was no response at least a good minute. I was laughing so hard and had to slide the door off of her. She just sat up so awkwardly and embarrassed. After about three minutes of staring and silence, I asked her if she swallowed and she said yes. I laughed my ass off and she left quickly after.

What made the meetup so horrible?

Well besides that this girl was very embarrassed, she’s now dating one of my fraternity brothers.

Have you seen them again since the awful date?

Yeah I see her about every weekend

Have you continued to meetup with people you match with on Tinder?

Yes

Gretchen, 21 (F)

I have a Tinder because it’s fun and I like talking to random people. I look for if they are attractive, nice, funny, good personality.

I have met quite of few of matches in person. We usually meet for coffee, go on random dates, public places, and bars. When I meet up with them I usually make it seem like I don’t see them first, then when we finally realize we are each other’s matches we hug and say it’s nice to meet you. At first it’s always pretty awkward because you don’t know what to talk about but usually it mellows out and we can easily have a conversation.

What’s your most awkward Tinder meetup?

Well, I met this guy at his apartment because I was already at the apartment complex with my friend who lives there too. We went over to his room and then we hung out with his roommate. I knew that this guy looked really familiar, and eventually he asked me what my name was again and when I told him, he put two and two together was like oh my god we have talked on Tinder before. It turns out the more of his friends I met, we all realized I have talked on Tinder to all of the bros in the friend group. Apparently they all talked about me to each other during the time that I was messaging the different guys, “dude, the girl I matched with on Tinder is so cool,” or “this girl on Tinder and I met up the other night..” It was so awkward.

What made the meetup so horrible?

I was so awkward because they made me feel like a homie hopper, even though all I did on Tinder was message these guys. They talked about our conversations and that made me feel invaded on my privacy with them comparing our messages. Its Tinder, I know that people message all the time and the same thing probably happens to groups – it was just the fact that I got called out on it. 

Have you seen them again since the awful meetup?

We hung out a few more times after that but we stopped hanging out. He ended up not texting me and just dropping me out of the blue. He is now graduated so I never see him on campus.

Have you continued to meet up with people you match with on Tinder?

Yeah but I try to be more careful about who I am talking to and meeting up with

Sam, 18 (M)

I just transfered and I didn’t really know anyone here, so I wanted to meet more people

I have over 760 matches from Iowa State but I’ve probably met up with about 15 of them. I just meet them at parties, I think it’s the least awkward.

What’s your most awkward Tinder meet up?

On New Years Eve a bunch of my friends and I posted a moment to Tinder telling people to come to our party. This night I ended up making out with a ton of girls, and one of them grabs me and takes me downstairs to the bathroom and starts the shower. At first I was thinking wtf, but like hey whatever, this girl is hot!! We started hooking up in the shower and she whispers in my ear that she has a boyfriend… I was confused because first of all I didn’t know that she was dating someone, and second of all because personally if I was cheating on my boyfriend with a one night hookup I wouldn’t tell my hookup that I was in a relationship.

Anyways, she continued to tell me her boyfriends name (a pretty big named athlete on campus) and I immediately stopped – I was not trying to get my ass kicked. I jumped out of the shower. Basically screaming in anger at me, she said I couldn’t leave the bathroom because “my clothes were wet”? This crazy chick grabbed what she thought was my clothes from the floor and threw them in the still shower – luckily they were some other dudes clothes. I grabbed mine, put my boxers on, ran out of the bathroom basically naked, where the rest of the party awaited me and almost everyone knew I had been hooking up in the bathroom… in the shower.

What made the meetup so horrible?

Everyone was outside of the bathroom when I came out and they all knew so that was pretty embarrassing. Also she has a huge boyfriend that I didn’t know about, and she turned out to be pretty psycho.

Nope, thank god. 

Yeah I have.

Karen, 20 (F)

I have one because it’s funny, and I like seeing the different types of guys on it. I’ll usually swipe left if all their pics are the same or if they seem boring. If they have adventurous pictures or funny pictures I will swipe right. I also am a sucker for funny bios – that aren’t too sexual. I don’t really look for anything though, if a guys nice and we talk and it turns into hanging out or something then cool but I’m not really looking for anything serious.

I’ve met like four matches in person. I have gone out on an actually date for dinner, I’ve met at a party, and at an apartment.

What’s your most awkward Tinder meetup?

I was talking to this guy for about a week on Tinder. The big red flag was him asking me if I was a virgin, and him saying that he was waiting for marriage – Wow am I naive. One Friday night we made plans to hangout after work, so I went over to his apartment. I was lost so I met him at a local YMCA, where he came to pick me up. I got in his car and I tried hard to not make it awkward by saying hey, how are you, other small talk like that. He brought me to his apartment, where right away he started showing me these white as hell rap videos he made with his friends from high school – sad part he was being so serious. They were awful. Next we decided to watch a movie, so I was laying down. He kept trying to get up next to me and cuddle but I am not a cuddler. I was not budging. I could tell he trying for something more than just hanging out like we had planned – but hello, I wasn’t looking for a hookup (we discussed that this wasn’t a fwb before we hung out).

I could tell he was pissed, and instantly he complained that he was tired. I offered to go home, and he said that it would be a good idea. When walked me to the door the dick said ‘can you find your way to your car?’ I had to walk back to my car about a mile down the road. Finally I found my car after 15 minutes of walking aimlessly, started to drive home, and guess what: I got pulled over. Apparently I stopped too fast at a stop light and the sirens went off. This cop made me do sobriety test and asked me just about a million times if I was sober – yes sir, I’m sober, I just had a horrible Tinder meet up and walked forever to find my car. Sorry not sorry. (Luckily I passed my sobriety test and got apologized to by the cop for getting pulled over.)

What made the meetup so horrible?

The worst part was this guy being such a bad human being. He had no personality (besides his attempt to rap – awful), and tried to hook up after clarifying we weren’t going too. Getting pulled over just tipped the horrible night off. Let me remind you it was around 2 am and I was pissed.

Nope thank God!

This was my first Tinder date, so yes I have met up with people since. It really depends on the guy if I will meet up or not.

Mason, 19 (M)

I’m looking for random people I know cause it’s funny when I see them. I look for hookups. Its also fun to just meet people and message people, I like sending and receiving funny and creative pick up lines.

I have met two matches and one was an invite to a party and the other one was we randomly bumped into eachother at a party

What’s your most awkward Tinder meetup?

So, this one is about the girl that I met randomly at a party. Apparently she was there with another guy. She recognized me and came up to talk, so of course we talked, danced, and even made out. A little later that night the guy she was supposedly with came up to me and started yelling at me. Wtf? He was all like “What are you doing with my girl?!” I was just like dude are you dating her? When he said no I told him that was good cause we just matched on Tinder last night. After that he couldn’t come back with a comeback and he literally just walked away.

What made the meetup so horrible?

I mean meeting the girl was pretty good, but the worst part was I didn’t really know either of them and this guy was super pissed at me yelling in front of everyone at the party.

I have not seen the girl or the crazy guy

After this I haven’t met up with anyone but I probably will in the future

Jessica, 19 (F)

I don’t use my Tinder a lot but when I do I usually just look for cute guys I guess. Tinder is fun and I like when I see people I know cause it makes it awkward and funny. Also it’s kind of a self-esteem booster when I get all these matches with guys I think are hot!

I have met up with four Tinder matches. One was at the State Fair, one was on a real date, one was just meeting at his apartment, and one was after a party.

What’s your most awkward Tinder meetup?

Well the story about this Tinder meetup wasn’t one of the matches that I planned to hang out with. I was swiping on Tinder and I found my TA for one of my classes. Duh, I was going to swipe right… he was decently cute and I was about to get free help on assignments for the whole semester, right? Wrong. In the beginning while messaging on Tinder he was really nice and interested in my life, so I gave him my number and my snapchat. We talked for a few days and made awkward eye contact from across the lecture hall. He offered to help me with anything in the course I had problems with, I actually was thinking this guy was so sweet! I went home that weekend and we were Snapchatting the whole time – need I remind you he knew I was home.

On my typical Friday and Saturday night at home I watched Netflix and went to bed early. If I didn’t answer his snap he would double or even triple snap me. He continued to snap me about five different times Saturday night after I was asleep. These were not mass snaps of cool parties or anything like that – they were snaps of him asking what I was doing and why I wasn’t replying. I came back to school and decided to snap him first on Tuesday. He asked me how my weekend was and then asked why I didn’t talk to him all weekend… bro I snapped you literally the whole time. I was sleeping when you quadruple snapchatted me! This made me realize he was kinda crazy so we slowly stopped talking. A few weeks later we had an exam in the class and I really needed help on a concept I didn’t get, so I texted him to ask how he was and asked if he would help me to understand a question I had. He answered and said he would help me, and when I replied with my question he read the message and didn’t respond. Note to self: don’t stop snapchatting your TA.

What made the meetup so horrible?

Well besides the fact he’s a little crazy, I get to make awkward eye contact with him every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday during lecture.

Haha yes, every lecture.

I have only met with the four guys, but sure I would continue to meet up with matches.

Iowa State University